Dumb Cylcling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpentman

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is probably a dumb question but is it normal for your tank to look like hell while in its initial cycle? I put 125lbs of uncured rock in the tank to get it going. The water is now greenish in color and very cloudy. Its been a while since I cycled a new tank so I thought I would check.

You and me are in the same boat LOL. I have asked this ? in a few threads, hope we get an answer.

No your water should not be green. At least mine never was. When you added all that rock did you scrub all the die off off the rock. You might need to do some PWC or I remember a couple months ago someone had the same problem and he used a UV that kills algea spores that are floating in the water. If your water is green it must have a ton of algea spores in it. In a couple days his was clear. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Here is a shot of mine. Blue, but cloudy.

Attachments

• pict0001_154.jpg
    pict0001_154.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 32
It makes me feel better to know I am not the only one.

The tank is across from my computer desk so I stare at it all day, its going to be a lonnnnng cycle!

Could be as simple as shutting all the pumps off and letting the dust settle. If its not gone in a week I will try that.

I don't think my problem is from particulate matter in the water. It looks bacterial as there is a thin coating on the glass as well.

Sounds like an algae farm in the tank. Personally I wouldn’t turn the pumps off. You need good water circulation during the cycle. (as long as they are not pointed downwards).

Are you doing your cycle with the lights off or at least 4 hours or less? Is your sump up and running yet? Have you gotten a skimmer yet and if so are you running it?

Mine doesnt look anything like any type of algea, its clear but a little cloudy, i think its from my sand.

Lights off at night.

My Backpak 2 skimmer is up and running with NO air ( the LFS said not to use air for the 1st 2 weeks? )

Marc, do you have have any lr in the tank? If not I'd run the tank without lights during the cycle to keep algea down. No need to run the skimmer without air, it will take about a week to break in anyways.

Currently there is no live rock IN the tank, but i have 45lbs of cured lr being held at the LFS for next week or so.

The cloudiness has gone down a bit, i can post an updated pic if needed.

tecwzrd said:
Are you doing your cycle with the lights off or at least 4 hours or less? Is your sump up and running yet? Have you gotten a skimmer yet and if so are you running it?

I have been running my lights on a reduced schedule. Basically, I have been testing out my timers and checking temperature. I have now reduced the photoperiod to 4 hours/day.

I just got the sump/skimmer up and running today. I have also plumbed in the refugium. However, there is nothing in it yet.

The guy at the LFS said not to run the skimmer during the cycle???

Anywho, I added my first 20lbs of LR.

I have heard both ways. I decided to run it do to the massive amount of die off I am experiencing with the uncurred rock.

On another note, I am convinced I am experiencing a cyano bloom.

Serpentman can you post a pic> is the tank still green? have you tested the water yet?
cyno is slimmy..
IMO running a skimmer during the cycle is a good idea, most skimmers need some time to break in and you need time to learn how to adjust them. Running a skimmer will not hurt a cycle and if you have die off it will pull crap out of the water.

test for PO4 and what kind of water are you using? test the new water for po4 also.. Its not uncommon for a new tank to get cyno....

The skimmer is working overtime and pulling tons of foam. Unfortunately, I used tap water for the initial fill (pretested for heavy metals). I haven't tested for PO4 but am sure its pretty high. My RO/DI unit should be here Thursday so moving forward, all PWC will be with RO water.

Here are a couple of pics:

img_630583_0_9aa6b057328e7dea5170b511057b5663.jpg

img_630583_1_d6e9a2b6c5b0d2e2a59aa6e5b3fea3ce.jpg

I really like how your lr looks, like it was made for your tank or something!

Thanks. It should look much better once the water quality improves. I went with Carribean LR (which is basically chunks of ancient coral) versus figi. I think the carribean is a little more interesting to look at where figi is typically more uniform in shape.

Back
Top Bottom