Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2014, 05:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Dumb Noob Move, I mean dumb!

Well the good thing is that I didn't bring home a Neon Dottyback. It was a great price and it was SOOOO beautiful. But wrong for my tank. Well that was the good thing, there is bad.

I bought two rocks covered with nuisance algae, because I thought they looked cool, and they do. I also bought two hand sized rocks with Button Polyps and nuisance algae. I looked up a list of nuisance algae and boy did I have quite a bunch of the ones from the list

cotton candy algae in lovely burgundy
Bryopsis pennata and B. plumosa
Green Turf Algae
maybe Lobophora
Red Bubble Algae
probably green bubble algae
maybe some red turf algae
maybe some cyano
hair algae
shall I go on.....

Most of that stuff looks really cool.

Also fortunately I didn't put them in my main nano tank, but into a QT tank.

So don't know how much worst my selection of a mini forest rock could have been. They forgot to put one of my living rocks into my purchase, oh darn.

Well also I can return them. So I will be returning them.

Is Green Turf Algae really bad. Somebody give me the scoop.

I will take a couple pics of my mess.

Also I got a cool Blue Xenia, I think... Is this also a weed and I should get rid of it? It was 2 chunks of it together and it was $5.50. I thought it was a Caribbean Flower Anenome. The Xenia was going for $21 or $24. they got it mixed up. Obviously didn't know anything, so that made 2 of us

All I can say is I am embarrassed, but newly educated in all the bad kinds of Algae. So don't get this stuff newbies.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Bryopsis is the most pain in the butt nuisance algae there is...I've battled it twice and it is no fun at all. Like it sucks big time. The other ones aren't as bad but are still bad. Definitely return.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Bryopsis is the most pain in the butt nuisance algae there is...I've battled it twice and it is no fun at all. Like it sucks big time. The other ones aren't as bad but are still bad. Definitely return.

+1. Also of you isolate the Xenia to a rock of it's own away from your main rock structure it won't takeover the tank.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could use a Hydrogen peroxide dip to kill the hair algaes.. Works every time.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
You could use a Hydrogen peroxide dip to kill the hair algaes.. Works every time.
I'd actually get a big bucket or kegorator to scrub the rocks clean. In all honesty, I know there was a piece of xenia or something on one of the rocks but...it is what I consider a weed and would get rid of it. If you want some in the future to put in your sandbed, there will most def be someone in your area that could give you some, as it grows like a weed.

A peroxide dip would also be beneficial towards cleaning that piece of rock up, but it would still need a good scrub.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had an issue with weird algae. I looked into it and brought a sea hare. There ugly creatures although dispite having shrimps, angels, crabs and the like the kids think it's the coolest thing in there. It destroyed all the algae within a few days. I'm new to the marine side so I'm sure experts may have different opinions but it worked and actually has quite a character. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408042608.518336.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	246755

Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw1974 View Post
I had an issue with weird algae. I looked into it and brought a sea hare. There ugly creatures although dispite having shrimps, angels, crabs and the like the kids think it's the coolest thing in there. It destroyed all the algae within a few days. I'm new to the marine side so I'm sure experts may have different opinions but it worked and actually has quite a character. Attachment 246755

Yeah, not a good move.. If that thing dies, say bye to your entire tank.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Really?

Old 08-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. Happened to one of my LFS not too long ago. They need a lot too eat also, I'd return it if possible.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

So much to learn!!

Now I find a peach purple worm. Fireworm, Bristleworm they look pretty much the same when they are a half mm wide and 4-5mm long to me.

Guys, I don't know if I can do this... It will sting me if I touch it yikes

Will reef dip kill theses things?

After consideration, I think I want to control the weird stuff and not let anything in the tank that I don't mean to put there, thank goodness this is the QT tank.

It is too small for me to get a pic of.

So I got two hitchhiker Astrea Snails. I guess that's good.

The Xenia is shedding some pieces already. I love the little grabbing hand motion but hate the idea they will overtake my tank more.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
move, noob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com