dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a friend and their last fish just died in a freshwater aquarium that has been cycled for a few years. Can you add saltwater mix to an already established freshwater aquarium to convert it? (I don't think you can) Can you use the freshwater's filter (that already has BB) and use it on an aquarium that has been setup for saltwater and speed up the cycling process?

I have a friend and their last fish just died in a freshwater aquarium that has been cycled for a few years. Can you add saltwater mix to an already established freshwater aquarium to convert it? (I don't think you can) Can you use the freshwater's filter (that already has BB) and use it on an aquarium that has been setup for saltwater and speed up the cycling process?

There's no such thing as a dumb question :) you can't just add salt mix and make it a salt tank. Plus the bacteria for salt are different than fresh. Really you would want to drain the tank, clean the filter and replace all media and start over with sand, rock and saltwater. I'm sure you would have massive algae blooms if you just got rid of the gravel and filter media but used the same water just mixed with salt.

So what do I need?

I'm going to get the aquarium from my friend in a day or two....what should I buy? I have a 55 gallon freshwater setup and I would like a nano saltwater tank that I can have some clownfish and damsels...So what do I need?

Well what size tank but basics would be a filter, live rock, sand, powerheads, hydrometer, salt mix and is use ro/di water to save you headaches. Oh and a light depending on whether you want coral or not

He said he wasn't sure but thought it was a 10-20 gallon...I would say that from what he said it is a 20 gallon. Do you think I can set up a 20g saltwater for under $100? (Not including the fish) I just spent a good bit on the 55g and not sure my wife would be happy if I spent alot on the saltwater one

He said he wasn't sure but thought it was a 10-20 gallon...I would say that from what he said it is a 20 gallon. Do you think I can set up a 20g saltwater for under $100? (Not including the fish) I just spent a good bit on the 55g and not sure my wife would be happy if I spent alot on the saltwater one

It's almost impossible for that to happen.. If its a 20gal you'll need at least 1lb per gallon of rock which is about $5 a pound.. So you'd have your $100 in just rock.. Plus lighting which isn't cheap if your getting coral. Saltwater unfortunately isn't too cheap of a hobby , but it's well worth the time and money!!

Live rock is expensive, base rock is pretty cheap though. You could get 20 lbs base rock for $40 and seed with a couple pieces of small live rock. It would be very tough setting up a tank on that budget but it could be doable. So: rock-$40, sand-$20, powerhead-$20, salt-$20, hydrometer-$10 you would probably go over that budget though by a little. You'd need the heater, filter and light still.

You can buy dry rock from here to save money. You are looking at $3/lb

Bulk Dry Live Rock - Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand - Bulk Reef Supply

You can get away with 10 lbs for a tank that size bringing it to $30 not counting shipping.

Assuming the heater and filter are still functional and in good shape you will need to invest in a few other things.

Hydrometer - $15
5g bucket of salt - $50
Aragonite substrate - $20

After that I would point out that you are limited to maybe 3 fish in a tank that size without running a refugium or skimmer. For a beginner I would suggest that you do 2 ocellaris clowns and a firefish goby. Those are popular choices for beginner fish. I also wouldn't add any other damsels to the tank because they really are aggressive bastards.

I'm just beginning my research for a marine tank but why so few fish in a 20g? And do you have any alternatives to the goby? I don't like them really

I'm just beginning my research for a marine tank but why so few fish in a 20g? And do you have any alternatives to the goby? I don't like them really

Sw fish are much more territorial than fw fish, they also put more bioload on a system. Having a large number of fish will easily crash your system as the bb in the rocks will not be able to put up with the output of the fish. Having a skimmer/refugium helps to filter these and is usually the only filtration used in sw tanks other than live rock and sand. Saltwater fish also cannot tolerate changes in water quality the way freshwater fish can, the ocean doesn't really change much. An alternative to gobies would be a blenny or maybe a basslett.

So would I use a skimmer or refugium instead of a filter? The skimmer and refugium are the parts that'd make me super nervousness because I'm unfamiliar with them.

So would I use a skimmer or refugium instead of a filter? The skimmer and refugium are the parts that'd make me super nervousness because I'm unfamiliar with them.

Keep the filter. Refugiums and skimmers are forms of nutrient export so help keep nitrates and phosphates under control. Running these can allow you to keep more fish.

Yep keep the filter, leave the skimmer and refugium until you get into larger tanks and have more experience. They're not really needed on a small tank as long as you keep up with water changes.

Keep in mind the cost of water changes too, weekly you will use maybe 3g minimum for changes, another gallon or so for top offs. If you buy your water at the lfs you add that cost along with the salt cost. Its not like freshwater where you set it and forget it. lol

I have both kinds of tanks and the salt tanks are always more expensive to run and keep up with.

Not much can be done, you can add prime but thats only gonna cover ammonia and heavy metals. You still will be adding phosphates and various other total dissolved solids that are not coral friendly. You can also get the ro water from those big water machines that they have outside of supermarkets and walmart.

Ok, So i just got a new hood for my 10g and it only takes (up to) 25W tubular bulbs. What are two bulbs that I can use to grow coral and such?

Back
Top Bottom