dumb question - need an air pump for a powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summitxho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do you need an air pump to hook up to a powerhead for it to work? I am gonna buy a powerhead online for a salt mixing tank and was wondering, stupid question I know heh :oops: oh also what type of dried seaweed would you suggest as a food suppliment for some various snails and hermits if they run out of algae?

No. If you want it to pull in air it will come with a adaptor or hose that it can use to pull in air by suction.

not that i know of. some ph's have a spot for you to hook up a piece of airtube to, so you can draw air in as it moves the water, but no an air pump is not req'd for a ph, just an electrical outlet and water.

thanks, any advice on what kind of dried seaweed to buy in case my few snails and hermit crabs run out of algae on the live rock?

What size tank and any fish in there. I dont put anything in my tank for hermits and snails. Fish waste and excess food will feed them

its a 10 gallon nano with 10 lbs of live rock, 2 astrea snails, 2 margarita snails, 2 nassarius snails, 2 dwarf hermits and a red scarlet hermit, there will not be a fish in it for another few weeks, I want something that I will also be able to feed my fish eventually when it goes in, besides the flake food I already have as well.

As melosu said. You need nothing special for hermits and snails. They will eat whatever falls to the bottom.

Well until you get a fish in there that you are feeding you will have to feed your hermits something or they will starve. I’d feed them about 1\4 cube of frozen like Marine Cuisine frozen or something from Ocean Nutrition once every 3 days or so.

Your sails should be able to find enough algae in the tank but keep an eye on them, you may have to supplement as well with such a small tank. Also I’d highly recommend drip acclimating them for at least 2 hours before adding to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom