Duncan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bird33

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a Duncan yesterday and today he's all opened and just hanging downwards . Any idea?? Is he ok?? First time with a Duncan

Went out and got a power head he's doing much better . Or looking better I should say. I'm guessing I didn't have enough flow?

Find a spot where it's happy and leave it there IMO they are fairly fast growers if there happy iv had mine a year and a bit and it's gone from 2 heads to 10-11 with more starting I feed Rotifers once a fortnight that's about it

So I put the power head in to please the Duncan. In the process stressed out some fish!! So much that the tang died!! Not happy. Do u think it was from stress??? He was fine up to this point.

A tang isn't going to be stressed out by a powerhead being added. There not being any water movement created a low oxygen environment with CO2 buildup along with a tang being too big of a fish for a 75 gallon tank is what lead to the death.

Yes, you need flow in the tank for it to be a healthy environment. I don't know why the tang died, but maybe your test kits can tell us.

I do have flow , I've got a 1500 gph return pump also.

Your tang is not died cuz of water flow or the size of your tank. I have a 60 cube with 12 fish and 2 of them are tangs. It's a full SPS tank that's been set up for 2 years. Never had any problems and I turn the water over in the tank 20 times a hour. Check your water and feed algae sheets every other day! Good luck

I agree about the power head not being the reason to a point. Cause the only number that was even a bit off was my PH it was 8. And honestly after I turned that power head on all my fish acted weird. Like they hid . And my Zoe closed . Hasn't opened since. Maybe the power head released some gases??? But why wouldn't my other fish die?? Clown , Blenny, and 2 damsel.

To tell you the truth. The only think I can think of it that there my have been something on the power head before you put it in the tank ( maybe some kind of oil ). I would put a poly filter pad in just to be sure. As for the Zoe. Most of them like more of a indirect light current. Did you have it facing them?

They were on the opposite side away from the current. I'm pissed I even put it in.

Maybe it disrupted some detritus and caused a nutrient spike. Clowns and damsels are more hardy than tangs IME.

Well I took the water to LFS the next day nitrite was 0 . Nitrate was 3 which is nothing. Ph was 8.

I mean I'm not happy I lost the tang, but if it was stress I can deal with it. I really didn't want a major issue on my hands and I don't think I've got one. Thank god. My Zoa today still hasn't opened so I moved him. Crossing my fingers he opens .

Back
Top Bottom