Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Exclamation Dwarf Octopus

So I have and Octopus coming out of one of my Rock for a few days now I notice 2 of my Hermits were missing... I thought it was just my Hermits Beating up on each other.... I notice before coming into work that little sly devil sliding into the rock when another hermit in his grasped..... I contacted my source where I got the rock from this morning and he said it's a Dwarf Octopus and they are harmless but could get aggressive if not feed..... I was like wow I can't believe he servive the ride home it's been three weeks since i've had the rock and it's the first time i've seen him..... Should I keep him or take him to the LFS and sell him... He look pretty cool actually....

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Make sure you're tank lid is very secure. The Octopus is one of the most intelligent creatures in the sea. A friend of mine had a Mimic Octopus and it climbed out of the tank through a hole the size of a quarter... and this was a huge octopus. Not only that but it made it's way on to the sofa 10 feet away from the tank and left a trail of nasty smelling ink everywhere. Another thing is they don't live too long in an aquarium. Other then that they are an awesome acquisition.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Make sure you're tank lid is very secure. The Octopus is one of the most intelligent creatures in the sea. A friend of mine had a Mimic Octopus and it climbed out of the tank through a hole the size of a quarter... and this was a huge octopus. Not only that but it made it's way on to the sofa 10 feet away from the tank and left a trail of nasty smelling ink everywhere. Another thing is they don't live too long in an aquarium. Other then that they are an awesome acquisition.
Yeah he's about the size of a golf ball...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Supposively thats as big he'll get and he will stay living in and out of the rock and reef....
Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow...thats not a cheap hitchiker either! I'm surprised the store didnt look for it first. Andrew is right. You cant have ANY holes for it to escape to. I would capture it and sell it to a LFS. Good luck with it.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
Wow...thats not a cheap hitchiker either! I'm surprised the store didnt look for it first. Andrew is right. You cant have ANY holes for it to escape to. I would capture it and sell it to a LFS. Good luck with it.
Yeah no LFS this was pick-up by a local seller that was just giving the rock away..... but anyways i'll see what i can do i might just keep the little guy especially if he's not really bothering he's just hungry and I got to pick-up something for him to eat.... And ideas what I should feed the little guy....
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dwarf octos are great. I've been researching them myself with hopes of ordering a couple next year. Sadly, they don't live but a few months. 6-8 months is typical. Good luck with it.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

You will never be able to keep any crabs, snails or shrimps as long as he is in the tank no matter how much you feed him. Unless that is what you are feeding him. If you are really bent on keeping it, set up a nano for it and have it be the only species in there.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
You will never be able to keep any crabs, snails or shrimps as long as he is in the tank no matter how much you feed him. Unless that is what you are feeding him. If you are really bent on keeping it, set up a nano for it and have it be the only species in there.
Yeah I have a 2 extra 10 gallon tanks i'm going to set one up an put him in there.... I'm hoping he doesn't die as I am still new to this hobby but if not I'll just take him to a LFS and sell him of for credit....
Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is the thing...

Do not use anything new besides the tank itself. Use water, substrate and rock that is already established in your existing tank or else the octo wont last even half of its expected lifespan. Plus, there are plenty of "locking" lids for 10g aquariums that you can modify.

Anybody disagree?

Tags
dwarf, octopus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com