Dwarf Seahorse Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ofSpades

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I wanted to start a thread with all my stupid silly questions.

First of all my end goal is to have a beautiful small/nano aquarium for some Dwarf Seahorses I plan to get in the near future. But most importantly I want to do it the right way so I can have some very happy and healthy fish. :fish2:

Since this will be my first marine aquarium, I have been doing as much research as I can on the net. I am always looking for my material to read/watch in my free time.

My first question is:
I have an normal 10 gallon tank that I could use but I have heard that a "tall" tank is the best to use for seahorses. Though everything I see is in the normal rectangle tanks. Does it really matter?

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Well I can ether go with my 10gallon or go with something tall.
I really like something like this. It really has the look I want to go for.

CORAL SPLASH 5 GALLON AQUARIUM | eBay

I haven't really seen anything like this. Not sure if I could make something like this work. :confused:
It comes with the "coral reef sculpture" and it looks like it has plenty of places for the little guys to hang onto. I know that using live rock, etc can be dangerous.

I wouldn't go with anything less than 10g for a pair of seahorses. Also, live rock is definitely not dangerous, nor can it be. In your case, you would actually need plenty of live rock with crevices for Copepods to breed.

LR is bound to have hitch hikers, like hydroids that can sting and can deprive Dwarf Seahorses' of their food, they are so sensitive I wouldn't take the chance. They only grow to be an inch as adults.

As far as the tank goes I have going by this guide (under Housing):
Dwarf Seahorses As Pets | My Blog

For some reason, I completely missed out on the dwarf part lol. If you are concerned about hydroids, you can get base rock. It will eventually become live. Also, a 5g would actually be more suitable now that I think of it. The one you posted though looks kinda tacky IMO but it's your choice lol

slitherbomb said:
For some reason, I completely missed out on the dwarf part lol. If you are concerned about hydroids, you can get base rock. It will eventually become live. Also, a 5g would actually be more suitable now that I think of it. The one you posted though looks kinda tacky IMO but it's your choice lol

Yeah the fake coral and stuff does but I'm more interested in the cylinder tank aspect. (it's the only tall tank I could find) I guess I could try and make one.

But yeah I figured I'd have some kind of base rock and fake coral or plants, etc...

slitherbomb said:

Great job slither stirring in the right direction on the live rock.. base is a great way to go.. it will be live after your cycle... with that said I would reccomend you start a side tank just for copods there is alot ways you can about doing it...

IMO 10G would be too big for Dwarfs since they only get about 1/2" to 1" big I believe if you want more info on them there is a well known breeder name Beth her Website is www.pekasponies.com also if you want more info you can email her @ peka@pekasponies.com she will be glad to give you tons of info on them and let you know what they need as living arrangements and feeding and keeping them healthy- HTH

Frankie

IMO 10G would be too big for Dwarfs since they only get about 1/2" to 1" big I believe if you want more info on them there is a well known breeder name Beth her Website is www.pekasponies.com also if you want more info you can email her @ peka@pekasponies.com she will be glad to give you tons of info on them and let you know what they need as living arrangements and feeding and keeping them healthy- HTH

Frankie

Thanks Frankie I'll check it out!

Back
Top Bottom