DYING to get started on a 20g FOWLR tank, but confused!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parrisgg

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I have loved my freshwater tank but I have been seduced by the saltwater tank for sometime now. I, however, am on a budget. I am a college student and I pay for my own house. As stated above, I want to start a FOWLR 20g tank. I am a little bit confused on how I can go about doing things though. I do not really understand the concept of a sump, how to set one up or where to put it? Would a 20g tank need a skimmer? What equipment would I need for my 20g FOWLR tank? I will be placing the tank on the kitchen counter, a place where there is no disturbance as well as almost no sun light that reaches it. How powerful do my LEDs need to be for a 20g? I am very confused on how to set up a salt water tank when it is placed on my kitchen counter because all of the set ups that I have seen are in cabinets or on stands where they can place their sumps in places. How do I even set one up for my tank?!

Get a 29 atleast imo that is the perfect size to begin your venture because with 20 gallons you begin having stability issues with salinity and temperature due to small water volume but for equipment if you just want a FOWLR then you would need a type of filter HOB,sump, sump/refugium, and some people have ran no filter at all..the skimmer is not needed on a tank that small especially without corals but it can't hurt..lighting is nothing to even worry about unless you want corals.you will also want 40-50x tank volume in flow (gph) ie 20 gallon tank needs roughly 800-1000 gph depending on rock/pump placement

I really am thinking of running a reef in the 30g tank. However, I'm a little confused on how to set up a sump.

its actually really simple..the water will come into the skimmer section then travel to the refugium if you'd like one then through a bubble trap into the return where your pump is

Back
Top Bottom