Easiest way to get started in Saltwater Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starscaper711

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys! I'm looking to start a 10G saltwater tank. I know that's rather small, but it's all I have at the moment.

What are the things I need to get started? I'm talking about the bare minimum to establish a tank. I know this is more costly than freshwater, but I'd still rather keep the costs as low as possible.

Thanks in advance!

I go through the set up of my 10g pretty well in my thread on the nano reefs forum " operation clown goby rescue"

Pretty simple on a small tank. You'll read in a lot of places that such a small tank is hard, but it really isn't. To set-up you'll need:
Tank
Filter (AC-30)
Powerheads
Heater
Rock (Dry or Live)
Sand
Lights (Depends on reef or not.)

Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

Macscale, by AC-30, what do you mean? Is that a specific model or type of filter?

Also, do you have any low cost but good value examples for any of those components?

Would one powerhead suffice? And are reefs preferred over non reef tanks?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

Macscale, by AC-30, what do you mean? Is that a specific model or type of filter?

Also, do you have any low cost but good value examples for any of those components?

Would one powerhead suffice? And are reefs preferred over non reef tanks?

Ok.
1.) AC-30 is a model of a filter. Aqua Clear 30. They are considered the best ones.

2.) Well? For what items?

3.) Yeah, it will work, a Koralia 420 would be what I would use. One 240 and one 420 would work better.

4.) uhm, well it's prefrence. Most people do FOWLR to keep fish that can't be with corals, there really aren't any for a 10 though. Or because reef would be too expensive. When it gets to larger tank especially.

Just going to warn you, the more you look the bigger you want. Is there no room for anything else?

best advise buy decent equipment the first time don't cheap out , or trust me it will come back and bite the wallet again
when I first started out I used all walmart stuff lasted about a month

I'm going to agree. To make this fulfilling, you will want to do a reef tank. In a ten gallon tank you are likely looking at one, maybe two small fish.

I'm going to agree. To make this fulfilling, you will want to do a reef tank. In a ten gallon tank you are likely looking at one, maybe two small fish.

Two is generally more accepted. Like a clown goby and Firefish type stocking though. Very low.
It's not to say that FOWLR tanks are not fulfilling, they have an appeal of their own and can be perfectly adequate.

Thanks guys! Do I need any special chemicals or additives? Where could I get rock or coral (?) for the reef?

Welcome to saltwater!
All I will say is look at The Fish Tank Doc on youtube before you start saltwater! GOOD INFO!!!

Back
Top Bottom