Easy corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwater reef

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys- just wanting to know what were some easy corals to have in a reef tank? I've already got some zoas but other than that it's an empty tank. Just trying to add some color!

What kind of lighting do you have and what's the size of the tank

I'm not quite sure about the light. What wattage leds and how many? If they are fully reef capable for sps and lps I would say get a few hardy sps like some acros and some lps like favias and acans. If you need low light corals pulsing xenia, yellow polyps, and clove polyps are great but will spread pretty quickly.

It's a 32 led 26 white and 6 blue, it's made for corals. I will look into lps and sps corals. Hopefully my tank will be big enough.

Size really isn't an issue just the smaller the tank the more precious every piece and realestate becomes lol

Very true! Thank you! What would you recommend? For my "valuable land?" lol

I'm a fan of acan lords...Check out cherrycorals.com

I love LPS, especially hammes, frogspawn, and torch corals. I also LOVE palythoas, Zoas, Duncans, and montiporas.

Those acans look awesome. Are they good size wise? And I have to start looking at those. hammers and frog spawns look awesome!

The average full grown acan lord mouth is about 1/2-2/3 of an inch across and on that sight what you see is what you get for everything I'm pretty sure

I mean that can vary hugely depending on frag size, aquascaping, lighting, and coral placement but they can be set pretty much side by side if you aren't worried about growing them into large colonies for a carpet of mixed acans which in working on now lol. Id say the lords can reach about a half inch with expansion and tentacles reach

Awesome! The carpet effect would be great! I have a little ledge on some Rock that would be perfect for them

Plate corals are pretty nice to as a bottom dwelling coral.. just got this yesterday got it as my avatar :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120806_154645.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120806_154645.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 85
Ya why not Nu-nu? Medium light low to medium flow and spread fairly quickly. They can also handle parameter fluctuations much better then most lps

Well mainly because of the price of some acans, if you dont do it right it ends up being a pretty expensive mistake. I havent jumped up to acans yet, maybe in a few months ill try.

If you want reallyyyy easy corals get zoas, paly, mushrooms, etc

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Well mainly because of the price of some acans, if you dont do it right it ends up being a pretty expensive mistake. I havent jumped up to acans yet, maybe in a few months ill try.

If you want reallyyyy easy corals get zoas, paly, mushrooms, etc

Ya but if that's the arguement then same with zoas. I know you've seen the "high end" zoas and palys. You can find great color acans for cheap. Got two for $5 and another for free so I don't think that's to bad and from experience they really are a very forgiving coral :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120806_184857.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120806_184857.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom