Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Eber's 10gal build

ok so I have a 10gal tank that's not in use. I have koralia 240. and that's about it as far as equipment. I need a heater and lights.

anyways idk what to use this tank for can u guys please give me ideas ????? can i have fish in this small tank? or inverts?

the dimensions are 20x10x12(LxWxH)

oh and I already have a 55gal reef.It's been up and running for about 9months, so I'm not a total noob I just want the endless possibilities of what I can do ???

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3028113206.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	95026  

Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could probably have 2 MAYBE 3 small fish in the tank! You could have alot of shrimp tho and make it an awesome reef tank

Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're looking for endless posibilites and are not against freshwater, one idea would be to do a low tech planted aquarium with some shrimp and/or maybe a decorative snail or two.

A nice planted tank can be very pleasing to look at and there are some pretty neat looking freshwater shrimp that should be fine in a 10g (I think).
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could do a goby or damsel with inverts. One or two small fish is going to be your max without having severe nitrate problems and territorial disputes etc.

Sexy shrimp are cool along with pom pom crabs and some larger inverts such as peppermint shrimp and other docile inverts. Add a small goby and some corals and youd have a pretty interesting 10g in my opinion.

As for lighting i recommend a led par 38 bulb perhaps. They use standard light sockets and will be absolutely plenty of light for around a 100 i believe. If your looking for less light the a 2 bulb t5 on ebay will do the trick too. Depends what you want to keep coral wise.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could do a nano reef or a Frag tank
Old 05-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
You could probably have 2 MAYBE 3 small fish in the tank! You could have alot of shrimp tho and make it an awesome reef tank
can I have a pair of clowns ? like perucula or ocelaris?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Seven
If you're looking for endless posibilites and are not against freshwater, one idea would be to do a low tech planted aquarium with some shrimp and/or maybe a decorative snail or two.

A nice planted tank can be very pleasing to look at and there are some pretty neat looking freshwater shrimp that should be fine in a 10g (I think).
I want this to be saltwater but thanks for the idea
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
You could do a goby or damsel with inverts. One or two small fish is going to be your max without having severe nitrate problems and territorial disputes etc.

Sexy shrimp are cool along with pom pom crabs and some larger inverts such as peppermint shrimp and other docile inverts. Add a small goby and some corals and youd have a pretty interesting 10g in my opinion.

As for lighting i recommend a led par 38 bulb perhaps. They use standard light sockets and will be absolutely plenty of light for around a 100 i believe. If your looking for less light the a 2 bulb t5 on ebay will do the trick too. Depends what you want to keep coral wise.
i will look into the inverts u mentioned thanks.and as far as corals I'm not sure either if I find a good deal on a light fixture on CL il do coral
Old 05-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How about a showpiece refugeium? Show what people never saw before.

Sand with rubble on top substrate, differ macro algae's. Be awesome to show off life in saltwater with no or very small fish.
Friends would come over and see the fish tank and after they see this abundance of life they will be blown away.

And u could do all this with regular light too. You can also use this to feed live pods and algae to your other tank.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heera
How about a showpiece refugeium? Show what people never saw before.

Sand with rubble on top substrate, differ macro algae's. Be awesome to show off life in saltwater with no or very small fish.
Friends would come over and see the fish tank and after they see this abundance of life they will be blown away.

And u could do all this with regular light too. You can also use this to feed live pods and algae to your other tank.
I like that idea thanks ! can I have a pair of clowns? or what fish can I keep?

Tags
build, 10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com