Eel and other fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggers58

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thinking of starting a 220 gal reef tank the only problem is my wife really wants an eel in the tank and I want other fish and corals. What are some other types of fish and corals that can co-exists with an eel. Thanks in advance! P.S. already have a 55 gal reef tank that has been set up for little over a month. It contains a strawberry crom, clown fish, golden head goby, firefish, tri color dwarf angle, reef safe wrasse, cleaner shrimp, snails of all kinds, and some blue legs. Corals are as followed: 2 kinds of zooanthid, green star polyps, purple/blue mushroom, and a branching hammer coral. Everything is doing great I am new to this hobby so any advice is greatly appreciated!

if you don't want a eel per say you could always go with a engineer goby once grown they can be 18/24 inch in size . with a eel you will have more of a chance he will get out if the tank isn't sealed good , the engineer goby is less likely to try to escape as he grows , the engineer goby will get along with about all your stock as the eel may snack on small fish and inverts,
this is my engineer goby he is about 24 inch in legnth
60069-albums13847-picture70059.jpg

I wont have to worry about it jumping out it's going to be a in the wall tank.

When it comes to eels, they always seem to find a way out of the tank. It might be a system that is inside a wall, but it'd find a way. I've watched them jump from between tanks that are in walls before.
I would suggest engineer gobies, as they are really neat fish that look like an eel and won't eat any fish that will fit in its mouth.

Thanks so much guys i think that's what we have decided on. I looked up videos of them super cool fish and my wife seemed to like them too. Engineering goby for sure. Thanks

when I got mine he was a inch and half in size , its kind of fun watching them grow it's also fun teaching them to come to you for food , mine was shy for the longest time now he can't wait to come out for a snack .

6 years later he is just shy of 2 ft he also shares his cave with a purple lobster he is about 8 inch , they get along great the engineer goby always brings him food and cleans out the lobsters molts from the cave , they used to live on opposite sides of the tank till they became bunk mates . it's amazing how they get along so well .

That's really awesome so cool how stuff comes together to be friends inside of a tank

Back
Top Bottom