Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

eel question

hi, im gettin a 55g next week and i would need informations on eels, ive seen 2 of em today at the lfs and i would like gettin one.

are they really hard to keep, wut they eat, do they grow fast, the one ive seen were about 6-8 inches long?

TIA guys!
later
Mark

Old 11-16-2003, 06:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i had a snow flake eel. he was awesome. easy to take care of never bothered my fish ( they were all larger). i fed him fresh frozen salad shrimp from red lobster. then the poor guy took a carpet dive. poor guy. moral of the story: make sure that the aquarium has a lid!

HTH
mark

Old 11-16-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

do you know what type of eel it was?
i had a snow flake also, it ate, shrimp, scallopes, squid and loved octopuss.
its not hard too keep and i think they grow an 1" a month, a 55gal imo is too small for a 3' eel
Old 11-16-2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to possum Send a message via Yahoo to possum
snowflake will be fine in a 55 they are not gonna stretch out very often or swim alot so the 55 will be plenty big......just make sure it is covered and well i had the same problem as ohio reefer only i thought i had mine covered pretty well.....guess i learned my lesson
Old 11-16-2003, 10:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Boy I realize I am no expert but... I have had two snowflakes 1 in a fish only tank and again the eel was smaller then the other fish & he also did the carpet dive. When I found him he was crisp and dry. I put him back in the tank and after a few days and a shedding he was good as new. A very fun addition to a fish only tank., If you have a reef I would say no way.. I had one in my reef who did grow very large and did prey on the fish who did not grow as rapidly or as large. He was a nightmare to catch and hart breaking to get rid of. I felt guilty for days... If you have a reef I would say no way but that jmo.. Good luck
Old 11-16-2003, 10:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
They are awesome animals. I almost got a snowflake a month or so ago but then researched a little and found it might kill my fish and invets.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefobsessed
Boy I realize I am no expert but... I have had two snowflakes 1 in a fish only tank and again the eel was smaller then the other fish & he also did the carpet dive. When I found him he was crisp and dry. I put him back in the tank and after a few days and a shedding he was good as new. A very fun addition to a fish only tank., If you have a reef I would say no way.. I had one in my reef who did grow very large and did prey on the fish who did not grow as rapidly or as large. He was a nightmare to catch and hart breaking to get rid of. I felt guilty for days... If you have a reef I would say no way but that jmo.. Good luck

if you ever have too get rid of one do as i did, and put the food in the net and he swam right in

Tags
eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com