Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2003, 10:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, actually, I have no shrimp or fish, therefore the question still lies. Will he be ok in a 7 gallon minibow. I have always wanted an eel and would buy a BakPak2 skimmer just so I could keep one in this thing.

Old 07-05-2003, 11:00 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I have had two snowflake eels and neither has offered to bother any of the tank inhabitants, small fish, shrimp, whatever. I think it is just the different personalities and habits, plus how well fed you keep it that will make the difference.

Overall, I think SFE's are rather lazy sots....mine doesnt like having to go very far for food ...spoiled @#&$*

Old 07-05-2003, 11:06 PM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9hp
Well, actually, I have no shrimp or fish, therefore the question still lies. Will he be ok in a 7 gallon minibow. I have always wanted an eel and would buy a BakPak2 skimmer just so I could keep one in this thing.
Although a small eel, I personally would not house one in a tank that small. Something along the line of 20g or larger would be best. Eels are primarily lazy and do not really need much in the way of "swimming" room. But I think in all fairness to the eel a 7g would be too cramped.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2003, 11:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not to be mean, but can we get some more responses on this? I think you just bursted my bubble
Old 07-05-2003, 11:49 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with Steve, even though a small eel, and not active, it will still produce the waste of a predator and is a messy eater like other eels, just on smaller prey.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 12:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

My bubble is officially bursted. So even with a skimmer its a no go?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:11 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just realized that I have a good ol 10 gallon stand sitting in the garage, and 10 gallon tanks are only 10 bux. I could use some sand I just got, and get a 4 inch DSB. LR would not be too much. I could save up for a BakPak2. Is this still to small? how about a 15 gallon tank? I am just loving this little eel. Although the price does scare me a bit.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:48 AM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9hp
Not to be mean, but can we get some more responses on this? I think you just bursted my bubble
No worries... 8)

That's the beauty of a community forum. Gain as much knowledge as possible and make an informed descision, not an impulsive one.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-06-2003, 11:04 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I think one of the biggest factors with eels is the bioload they produce. The need for skimming is increased as well as the need for frequent water changes expecially in such a small volume of water.

From my reading i get teh sense that eels also either need or prefer a more oxygen rich enviorment. The comment was made in the book by Fernner that eels have their mouth a gape not because they are trying to show off or look intimidating but because they are in need of oxygen.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 11:37 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you would need a skimmer, and an airstone or two to keep the water nice and oxyenagated

Tags
eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com