eel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good luck finding the Golden though, I was not able to find a retailer without a waiting list. Pretty pricey too, although they were featured by Scott Michael as being perfect for smaller tanks as mentioned.

HoopsGuru said:
Good luck finding the Golden though, I was not able to find a retailer without a waiting list. Pretty pricey too, although they were featured by Scott Michael as being perfect for smaller tanks as mentioned.

Pricey... 8O wow, your not kidding. The local on-line here, J&L Aquatics just got some in $199.00 CND...

Cheers
Steve

WOW! I want one! Are they reef safe? What is the smallest tank I could keep this guy in?

it said they are reef safe and they get to be only 10 inches.pretty awesome looking hubby says if i get a "snake" he isn't helping clean the tank any more :twisted:

10 inches and the thickness of a pencil, could I keep one im my 7 minibow? I could move the clown over to my 5.5

Reef safe is kind of a clumsy term. They wont go after your corals but they will eat any invert or fish that they can swallow. That is how I got my snowflake eel. The LFS sold it to a guy and swore up and down it would not eat his pepermint shrimp nor would it eat his small fish.

Well several shrimp and fish later the guy was furious. I told him i could take the eel off his hands for him and he was very eager to catch it and give it to me.

Well, actually, I have no shrimp or fish, therefore the question still lies. Will he be ok in a 7 gallon minibow. I have always wanted an eel and would buy a BakPak2 skimmer just so I could keep one in this thing.

I have had two snowflake eels and neither has offered to bother any of the tank inhabitants, small fish, shrimp, whatever. I think it is just the different personalities and habits, plus how well fed you keep it that will make the difference.

Overall, I think SFE's are rather lazy sots....mine doesnt like having to go very far for food ...spoiled @#&$*

d9hp said:
Well, actually, I have no shrimp or fish, therefore the question still lies. Will he be ok in a 7 gallon minibow. I have always wanted an eel and would buy a BakPak2 skimmer just so I could keep one in this thing.

Although a small eel, I personally would not house one in a tank that small. Something along the line of 20g or larger would be best. Eels are primarily lazy and do not really need much in the way of "swimming" room. But I think in all fairness to the eel a 7g would be too cramped.

Cheers
Steve

Not to be mean, but can we get some more responses on this? I think you just bursted my bubble

I agree with Steve, even though a small eel, and not active, it will still produce the waste of a predator and is a messy eater like other eels, just on smaller prey.

I just realized that I have a good ol 10 gallon stand sitting in the garage, and 10 gallon tanks are only 10 bux. I could use some sand I just got, and get a 4 inch DSB. LR would not be too much. I could save up for a BakPak2. Is this still to small? how about a 15 gallon tank? I am just loving this little eel. Although the price does scare me a bit.

d9hp said:
Not to be mean, but can we get some more responses on this? I think you just bursted my bubble

No worries... 8)

That's the beauty of a community forum. Gain as much knowledge as possible and make an informed descision, not an impulsive one. :D

Cheers
Steve

I think one of the biggest factors with eels is the bioload they produce. The need for skimming is increased as well as the need for frequent water changes expecially in such a small volume of water.

From my reading i get teh sense that eels also either need or prefer a more oxygen rich enviorment. The comment was made in the book by Fernner that eels have their mouth a gape not because they are trying to show off or look intimidating but because they are in need of oxygen.

So you would need a skimmer, and an airstone or two to keep the water nice and oxyenagated

Back
Top Bottom