Eel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shirtlessbill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

My gf apparently likes my hobby because she wants me to setup a new tank. Although she gets my love for reefing she really wants to enjoy more variety of fish and wants me to set up an eel tank. Although my current mixed reef is great now I went into this hobby a little hastily and would like to not make that same mistake on this one. A friend of mine is getting rid of his 50 gallon and I thought, "perfect".

My question is really just anything that I should know about keeping eels. I'm assuming some basics like making a latch for the lid, lots of hiding places, and I personally am a believer in the refugium system. Really just an open forum for all things a new eel owner should be aware of. Oh, and I'm thinking snowflake eels (two if possible).

Thanks

I've owned an eel in a 55. It was okay for a little bit till he reached about 2'. They get long it would be best to go with something over a 100 gallons.

A golden dwarf is peaceful and stays under 1ft. Plus they are easy to determine boy/girl

Thanks. And sorry for the miss sentences up there. I have a super great relationship with my lfs so them getting too big hasn't ever been a concern. They take back my stuff and stick it in their show tanks. But I'll look around on craigslist to see if i can find something bigger (maybe use the 50 as the refugium). What about other livestock? Seems like they like some inverts. Starfish, urchins, anemones ok?

Back
Top Bottom