Eel wont eat...help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckyc1423

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a zebra eel yesterday afternoon from my livestock store...(they said they fed him that morning)...well I have been trying to feed him all day today but he wont eat when I wave the dead fish infront of him (the fish for food was recommended by the store)...so I just dropped three of the fishs in the water so hopefully he will eat them.....how do i get him to eat? the only other fish in the aquarium is my yellow tang which was there two weeks before adding this fish

What kind of fish exactly? You make it sounds like freshly killed sw fish...Zebra eels prefer crustaceans so try feeding shrimp (shell on), crab meat, or virtually any other crustacean along with fiddler crabs to entice and bony fish (not live) every now and then. Eels only need to be fed 2-3 times/week and Morays can go long periods (documented to 6mos.) without eating so I wouldn't overly worry yourself. You have time XD

I agree that they dont need to be fed every day. When I had mine I fed it every 2-3 days as James just mentioned. I suggest you feed him shrimp. Your LFS doesnt seem to be up on eel feedings. I`m sure in a couple days he`ll be ready to eat.

Back
Top Bottom