Egg crate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
So, I just had the thought of having an egg crate bottom on my tank. This way I can have a deeper, but stable base for my LR. Has anyone done it this way? I have known of people using different lengths of PVC pipe to do something similar. Also, is the egg crate you guys use the same egg crate that is used for lighting panels, or am I using my base knowledge from the wrong trade?

I used regular egg crate from lowes electrical department. I cut it exactly to fit my tank and overflow in my 90g. I figured it would be better than having the rock directly on the glass. So far so good. I did do a miscalculation though and have a 6 inch or more sandbed. lol Only time will tell.

I've heard of people using egg crate on the bottom of tanks. And yes the egg crate is the same that is used for panel ceilings.

On the bottom of the tank it isn't rectangular exactly, there is the big drilled overflow cover that is kinda oval. I had to use the dremel to cut out the space for the overflow where it meets the bottom of the tank. Wish I had a picture. lol

See the big black thing that protudes from the back of the tank? Thats a few inches out into the center of the tank.

img_1821774_0_f60ce9345ab312fadd506462e2bcc252.jpg

I put it on the bottom of mine. Provides a great base for the rock to stick in and if your sand bed is less than an inch it will protect the glass from a falling rock

OH, I thought that we were talking about a HOB overflow for some reason...I think you have a CPR one on one of your tanks like I do...or am I imagining things?

OH, I thought that we were talking about a HOB overflow for some reason...I think you have a CPR one on one of your tanks like I do...or am I imagining things?

I've got half a dozen tanks so yeah, one does have a CPR overflow. But this one , the 90g is the first one that I've used eggcrate with. :)

Back
Top Bottom