Ehiem or sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zactheninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to convert a 35 gallon tall to a saltwater tank, for saltwater a lot of the professionals use sumps, why? And what is the difference between a sump and refugium?
I have a 2216 eheim, that's rated for a 160 gallon tank I believe, basically, what would be better?

Basically a sump is to hold pumps and other equipment and a refugium holds algae or other plants to export unwanted nutrients like phosphates. On a SW system a canister filter will cause excessive nitrates if not maintained weekly.

On my 180 gallon system I run a 60 gallon sump and a 30 gallon refugium.

What was already stated is true. On my 55 gal system, I have a 20 gal long sump/fuge setup that houses my skimmer, uv, heater, and some cheato, money plant, and 5 mangroves.

Ok then, what would be needed more? A refugium or a sump?
The space in the stand is very limited.

I have a 47g tall tank and can't fit any worth while sump under my tank ( a 10g won't fit) and a 10g sump isn't much of a sump. So you may want to look at other options. I use a cannister filter it isn't bad. Just have to maintain it.

I hear they make decent hang off the back skimmers, would a back skimmer and a powerful back filter work?

I currently have a eshopps psk 75h skimmer, I use to have a seaclone, the seaclone was junk. I really like the eshopps it's very good for the money, I doubt you could get a better skimmer for the money.

I also have a Rena xp4 cannister filter , I use to have an eheim 2332? I think , it was a eheim pro not a classic, I like the Rena better, it's larger and easier to use DIY filter media, I use live rock rubble , filter floss, a couple mesh filter pads, and activated charcoal in panty hose.

I didn't see any cheap ones on eBay except for an in sump model. Keep an eye out, there are deals to be had.

Awesome.
And the eheim classics are the better products.
These others with all the add ons are just un needed.

Back
Top Bottom