Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Do you think home depot would have the grounding probe as well?
I doubt it. They are a aquarium product.

Check out this link

Old 05-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, Marine Depot is right down the street from me so I can just pick that up.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #13
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can certinaly buy GFI power strips. They work just fine. The ground probes are available at your LFS, drsfostersmith.com, thatpetplace.com or dozens of other places. Typically they are connected to the CENTER screw that holds on the plastic cover plate for your plug. If a house is wired properly this center screw will be grounded to earth.

JM, your uncle needs some education. His advice is not sound.

GFI stands for ground fault interrupt. When some electrical device fails and goes to an earth ground the switches open, stop the current flow and save your life. If you were to drop an old hair dryer in the bathtub it could kill you instantly. Fortunately hair dryers these days are fitted with GFI plugs. They are extremely fast acting and will open and stop current flow before your heart ever skips a beat.

Remember, the ground probe is for your fish, the GFI is for YOU.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have GFI outlets on all my aquarium stuff and I have never had one trip when it wasn't supposed to. My dad is an electrician and he insisted I switch the outlets I was using with GFI's just in case. He said it meant the difference between life and death, especially when dealing with saltwater.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to FishyFamily
Wow! Thanks for all the great advice!
1 Cleaner Shrimp
Sandsifter Star
Hot Pink Zoo
Green Mushroom
Blue legged Hermit Crabs
FishyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I believe that a GFI actually measures the current between the hot and neutral leg and when they differ do to a short in the equipment the receptacle grounds itself tripping the receptacle or the circuit breaker.

Also do not put two GFI receptacles on a circuit, once you install one in a circuit the entire circuit becomes ground fault protected.

One of the main reasons of getting zapped is having bad grounds, make sure any equipment that requires grounds to be well grounded.

It happened to me once i was setting up a sump once for a friend using a surge protector strip to plug the pump into. I turned it on and but my hand in the water and got nailed. I realized that he had cut the ground probe off of the strip. So i plugged it straight into the receptacle and it was fine.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Location: That place between sleeping and awake, where dreams become reality and songs of the heart are born
Okay so a powerstrip with the reset button is safe with a drip loop? Is that a gfic?? I have my aquariums set up with these type of power strips, allowing for drip loop and the powerstrip is away from the aquarium off to the side. Does gfic mean grounding for indirect current?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
NO, a power strip with a reset button is NOT a gfci. You can install a gfci without doing it in-wall

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_search...itemsonpage=15

look for the one with:
Automatic Reset Feature - this device automatically energizes for use upon being plugged in and after loss of primary power

otherwise a power blip will shut your tank off till you reset it. (mine sucks)

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #19
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMaiden
Okay so a powerstrip with the reset button is safe with a drip loop? Is that a gfic?? I have my aquariums set up with these type of power strips, allowing for drip loop and the powerstrip is away from the aquarium off to the side. Does gfic mean grounding for indirect current?
No! Just because a power strip has a reset button (circuit breaker) doesn't mean it's a GFI. It must clearly be labeled as one. Also it will have a test and reset button. GFI's work by sensing faults to ground. If a device fails and goes to ground it will rapdily discharge current to ground. GFI's are actually an extremely fast circuit breaker that sense the "lack of voltage potential" from the hot leg to the nuetral leg OR ground wire. They have been around since the 1980's and have been written into building codes in most areas.

GFIC does NOT mean grounding for indirect current. It means GROUND FAULT INTERRUPT CIRCUIT.

Further, any device operated from AC (alternating current) produces rising and falling magnetic flux lines perpendicular and parallel to the ac sine wave of electrons flowing through the wire. In the US we use 60 cycle power which means there are 60 perpendicular and 60 parallel energy fluctuations per second. The magnetic fluctuations CAN induce current flow in electrically conductive objects nearby. However tiny, the induced energy can be measured. For example, if you were to lay a lamp cord (with lamp turned on) across a piece of metal you could actually measure a miniscule amount of electricity in the metal that is induced from the rising and falling magnetic fields. Normally it's so small we consider it to be insignifigant and harmless. However, in saltwater things change because saltwater is HIGHLY conductive. Any submerged motor, heater light, etc, produces eddy currents in the water which won't kill fish immediately but can have term deletrious effects on their central nervous system. A titanium ground probe is the only way to safely discharge these currents from your tank to an earth ground.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I have a power strip plugged into a GFI like the ones from marinedepot.com (that jaiden gave the link for) than I am protected right?
Thanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com