Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
1 does the 15/20 mean amps?
Yes
Quote:
2 i would wire a 15 amp to a 15 amp and 20 to 20, right?Thanks!
You wouldn’t want to wire a 15 amp wall receptacle to a 20 amp circuit breaker due to the fact that the wall receptacle could over heat because its breaker is a higher rating and won’t trip till 20 amps is exceeded but the 15 amp wall receptacle can’t handle the load as well.

Wiring a 20 amp wall receptacle to a 15 amp circuit breaker doesn’t harm anything since the 15 amp circuit breaker will trip when the voltage exceeds 15 amps which is lower then the 20 amp wall receptacle.

Clear as mud, right

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Clear as mud, right
Yup....Good thig I paid a little attention in 9th grade electronics class. Too bad, that was after my friend dared me to stick my finger in a light socket! LOL!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #33
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Quote:
1 does the 15/20 mean amps?
Yes
Quote:
2 i would wire a 15 amp to a 15 amp and 20 to 20, right?Thanks!
You wouldn’t want to wire a 15 amp wall receptacle to a 20 amp circuit breaker due to the fact that the wall receptacle could over heat because its breaker is a higher rating and won’t trip till 20 amps is exceeded but the 15 amp wall receptacle can’t handle the load as well.

Wiring a 20 amp wall receptacle to a 15 amp circuit breaker doesn’t harm anything since the 15 amp circuit breaker will trip when the voltage exceeds 15 amps which is lower then the 20 amp wall receptacle.

Clear as mud, right
Absolutely, tecwzrd hit the nail on the head!

15 means 15 amps and 20 means 20 amps. I'd hazard a guess that if you live in a house with breakers labeled 15 amps it's somewhat of an older house, maybe over 25 years old???

I'd be glad to clarify any of this stuff. PM me or post a question here. Disclaimer, I'm NOT an electrician but I an engineer with a few decades of detailed experience with the EMF (electro motive force) which you commonly know as electricity and magnetism - the two of which are inseperable.

It can be quite complicated but I can reduce it to laymen's terms that anybody can understand.

And please, don't regard my posts on this as some sort of arrogance. It's just that I feel the need to inform my fellow hobbyists.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I'd hazard a guess that if you live in a house with breakers labeled 15 amps it's somewhat of an older house, maybe over 25 years old???
1997 was when it was built. I live in WV, and there probably was not a "rush" to build out here, at that time. Now, it is a different story, houses are coming up like corn stalks! LOL!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #35
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Roka64, important question??? Do you live in an area where you had local codes that followed national codes? Or, possibly, a rapidly expanding rural area that wasn't quite up to speed?

Breath deep and relax, I'll walk you through it.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:30 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Do you live in an area where you had local codes that followed national codes?
Um, I have no idea.

I just doublechecked, the furnace is 60, heat pump 30, range 50. Sorry about that, I never looked at that side of the box.

I live in a once rural area. I am on the boarder of WV/MD/VA. I moved up here from VA, where I still work.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #37
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Allright, that's okay, I'll still walk you through it all. Your "furnace at 60" means it has a 60 amp circuit which also means it has electric resistive back-up heat for when the "heat-pump" craps outs because it gets too cold.

The "heatpump" at 30 amps is your summer time air-conditioner AND your mild winter heat source. It's wired to a 30 AMP breaker which seems entirely logical.

Your "range" which is on a 50 amp circuit is obviously an electric range because it uses large resistive elements that cost a lot to run.

I'm now guessing that you live in a fairly modern all electric subdivision?

Heat pump and air-conditioning and heating are all subjects that I have decades of experience with. I realize it's off topic...but.....pm me and I'll see if I can help you out with your questions.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:34 AM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

I think I am good to go. I just never really looked at the ckts in the box, untill I added my GFI, this paast weekend. It tested fine and everything is working properly. I just remembered I have a multi meter. I have been shocked too many times before.
My only question was about the 15/20 ckts, and doublechecking that I did it correctly.
Thanks for the layman's terms advice!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com