Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Eletric goes out what to do?

My eletric has been flickering due to the bad weather what should I do if it goes off?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

keep an eye on the tanks temperature. If it's for an extended amount of time you can aerate the water by just pushing it around. Thats the best you can do I suppose. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Buy a generator!! (if you have the money) I wish I had one back when the hurricane hit we lost power for three days and loss our favorite long spine sea urchin and the other guys wouldn't have made it one more day. I just used a spatula and swished the water around to keep the water agitated like Carey stated and I didn't feed them. It was summer so we kept an eye on the temp, did water changes if it got to hot, in your case if it gets to cold.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks.. Ive been looking and trying to find some type of battery operated ac outlet. Hopefully I can
Old 03-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

For extended outages, you can wrap those space blankets they make for vehicle emergency kits around the tanks. Keeps the temp stable.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good idea didnt thank on wrapping the tank
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I know a generator sounds expensive, but when you really figure out the money you invest into this hobby, it really does pay off. Now, I'm not talking something you can run your entire house off of. If you go to a discount hardware, you can find some really small and inexpensive generators for cheap. Just big enough to run your tank and a light or two. Just make sure you follow the directions for operation and keep it away from the house to avoid issues with Carbon Monoxide. Not saying you need this, but some people have some really large and complex set-ups that could benefit from a generator if needed.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I bought one of these-
Battery Operated Air Pumps for Aquariums
Short term it will save the fish from suffocating.
If the weather is extreme and temps are an issue, then this will not help. depending on how much you love your tank and how much money is invested, along with how much your power goes out, you may want to get that generator. I did.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is there a small one I dont need a huge one thats gonna cost me $200 do I?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You aren't going to get a generator worth anything for 200. If money is the issue, I would look into power inverters. They plug into your car's cigarette lighter and you can run cords from it to your tank, fridge...etc.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com