Eletric goes out what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardclaxton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My eletric has been flickering due to the bad weather what should I do if it goes off?

keep an eye on the tanks temperature. If it's for an extended amount of time you can aerate the water by just pushing it around. Thats the best you can do I suppose. Good luck!

Buy a generator!! (if you have the money) I wish I had one back when the hurricane hit we lost power for three days and loss our favorite long spine sea urchin and the other guys wouldn't have made it one more day. I just used a spatula and swished the water around to keep the water agitated like Carey stated and I didn't feed them. It was summer so we kept an eye on the temp, did water changes if it got to hot, in your case if it gets to cold.

Thanks.. Ive been looking and trying to find some type of battery operated ac outlet. Hopefully I can

For extended outages, you can wrap those space blankets they make for vehicle emergency kits around the tanks. Keeps the temp stable.

I know a generator sounds expensive, but when you really figure out the money you invest into this hobby, it really does pay off. Now, I'm not talking something you can run your entire house off of. If you go to a discount hardware, you can find some really small and inexpensive generators for cheap. Just big enough to run your tank and a light or two. Just make sure you follow the directions for operation and keep it away from the house to avoid issues with Carbon Monoxide. Not saying you need this, but some people have some really large and complex set-ups that could benefit from a generator if needed.

I bought one of these-
Battery Operated Air Pumps for Aquariums
Short term it will save the fish from suffocating.
If the weather is extreme and temps are an issue, then this will not help. depending on how much you love your tank and how much money is invested, along with how much your power goes out, you may want to get that generator. I did.

Is there a small one I dont need a huge one thats gonna cost me $200 do I?

You aren't going to get a generator worth anything for 200. If money is the issue, I would look into power inverters. They plug into your car's cigarette lighter and you can run cords from it to your tank, fridge...etc.

mr_X said:
You aren't going to get a generator worth anything for 200. If money is the issue, I would look into power inverters. They plug into your car's cigarette lighter and you can run cords from it to your tank, fridge...etc.

This is what I have. Got a power inverter and I have a "jump box" for my car battery if battery dies. I can use the jumper cable attachments on the jump box and connect to inverter. Don't know how long jump box charge would last tho. Havnt had to use it. I got the setup for hurricane Irene but never lost power here. Like X said could plug inverter into car as well and run cord.

Here's what I do if its short term (less than a couple hours)
Put two battery operated bubblers in the tank, throw blankets over it, and turn the fireplace on lol. Also, ill take the bio-whatever-its-called cartridge out of the hob filter and float it where the bubbles are coming up. It drains when its off and I don't want any BB dying. Immediately after the power is back I do a small water change.

Oh and With my canister filter, I pour out whatever water was in it and hook it back up because without it being on, the waste inside can become toxic or somethin, idk. I read that somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom