Emerald Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maporsche

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I feel really stupid. Two days ago I bought a couple of emerald crabs for my tank. Well one day later I saw one of them was on it's back at the bottom of my tank so I was pretty upset, I thought I didn't aclimate them properly or my water parameters were off.

So I checked EVERYTHING, even though I'd checked them only 3 days earlier. I took out the dead crab and threw it away.

Well, last night I was removing my rock to re-aquascape everything and low and behold, I found a well hidden crab in one of the rocks (the other one I had removed and put aside in a small bowl). It would appear that the crab had molted and I had found it's dead shell.

I knew that other people had done the same thing, but I really thought it had died since I had only had the crabs for 2 days.

So, good news is the crab isn't dead, bad news is I'm a moron.

This crab almost doubled in size with it's molt. That's amazing.

Don't be ashamed. I have done the same thing countless times with my cleaner shrimp and sally lightfoot crab. :D

Brenden said:
This crab almost doubled in size with it's molt.
:?: You sure it is the same crab?

Pretty sure....I have only bought two. I dug the "dead" crab out the trash after finding this one and after taking it apart there were no "guts" or anything. It just looked like an empty shell.

Back
Top Bottom