Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

emergency

Ok I know that I did something REALLY stupid, because all my corals are saying so! I got in some new supplements from sea chem, read the directions and put everything in...reef cal and reef complete (which it says to use together) and also reef plus. I know I am losing time here but I just want to make sure that a water change isn't gonna make things worse. Can someone explain what I did? The bottles say they don't impact ph but mine is usually at 8.3 but now it's at 8.0...

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I keep reading the directions and it says nothing about not using them in conjunction with except stuff that impacts the ph....all the bottles say they DO NOT impact ph. How should I be using these products? The mushrooms are coming back out now...hoping the rest follow suit.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 09-29-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
May I ask why you feel the need to add supplements? From what I see in your list, nothing there would deplete nutrients to the extent you need to add anything between normal water changes.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought you were sopposed to add supplements? I have xenia and a flower pot too that I haven't added. I do 10% water changes twice a month, but my calcuim always runs a bit low.

Old 09-29-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Everything has come back around except my flower pot looks kinda droopy. I used an iodine replenisher earlier that day, again according to the directions, should I have waited to use the others? Do they not go together?

Old 09-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dose kalk nightly with my topoff to keep my ca over 350ppm. I haven't had to dose anything else in 3 months as the alk and ph have remained stable. Real cheap too if you use Ball's pickling lime.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:36 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

IMO, you should quit using additives. If you do not test for it, you dont know if you are over doing it. Have you tested the iodine levels? What level is your calcium and alkalinity at? If your alkalinity and ph are staying low, then I would be consider using a kalk drip. Alot of people think that if a little is good, then alot must be better, but that is not the way it works. You can overdo anything. Stability is the most important thing to strive for and when you keep putting things in, your water chemistry wont be stable.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

really, do you use supplements

Old 09-29-2004, 09:44 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I feed my tanks. The only supplement I use is Kalk, and since I have changed salt brands, I only do that rarely.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, all the corals look like they recovered well, but my water is now pretty cloudy. Does this mean there is something wrong with the water? I have a captive raised anemone that I just got and I need to acclimate it. Will it be safe to do so. I can't use my QT tank because I have used copper in it before.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com