Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Emergency Help - newbie question

Hi all,

My roommates and I recently got a saltwater aquarium and are a little over our heads.

We got a couple sturdy fish to test out the tank and after 1.5 weeks we lost one and the other 2 arent looking to great (a little discolored) and I'm hoping to get answers here as to what steps we should take.

We tested the water using the OceanMaster Test Kit and the readings are:

pH 7.8
Ammonia: 0.4
Nitrite: 0.2
Nitrate <10
and Alkalinity of 13 drops to change the color of the water.

Sorry for the vagueness of this but I imagine we need to change some of the water, get a functioning protein skimmer right away and what else? Is there any emergency action we can take?

Thanks for any advice!!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Did you purchase everything brand new as in a new setup or was this an established system you bought from another aquarist? If this is a new setup then the tank is currently cycling. If purchased as an established tank then the move probably disturbed much of the bacteria populations and organic waste in which a 50% water change would be in order. If you are cycling, I would return the fish and take a look at some of the links available here on the Homepage.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

We got all the equipment used and set it up ourselves. We know the water was good before we put fish in and I think the problem iis a result of waste product and a malfunctioning protein skimmer.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Read up at this site in the "Articles" section on Cycling a tank. Getting sturdy fish wasn't a good idea until you understand cycling. What kinda fish by the way. The other will likely die also.

What sized tank? What kinda substrate? How much Rock? Were'd you get the rock from? Powerheads? Salinity reading? Need to know a lot more to help you, but first and foremost, you've gotta read up on cycling a SW fish tank to understasnd what the ammonia and nitrate is all about - and what it does to fish.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, read the link about fishless cycling under my sig file. That should give you more understanding of what is going on in your tank.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman86x View Post
We got all the equipment used and set it up ourselves. We know the water was good before we put fish in and I think the problem iis a result of waste product and a malfunctioning protein skimmer.
You are in the midst of your cycle. Since you have fish in the tank the best course of action is to mix up some new SW and do a PWC. (mix the SW for at least 24 hours prior to use) The ammonia and nitrite are what caused the death of the one fish.

As the others have said go to the article section of the site and read about cycling your tank.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

welcome and keep us updated
Old 10-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman86x View Post
We know the water was good before we put fish in
It has nothing to do with the water. It has everything to do with the nitrifying bacteria that is needed to cycle your tank. This is found on the different surfaces in your tank like the LR, substrate and glass sides. This is done effectively by cycling your tank. As mentioned above read our article on cycling the humane way.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com