Emergency Water Change w/Tap Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well i have had a really bad amonia spike for the last few days, i've tried several things, and now im out of my stash of RO/DI water. Would it kill my tank to do an emergency water change with Tap water?

Probably not IF your tab water quality is good. If you're not sure, then you may want to head for WalMart and get some distilled water.

Do you have any dechlorinator????

I think a better thing to do would be figure out what caused the ammonia spike as well.

Tap watter is alright. I also have a dechlorinator.

As for the spike, i have a good idea that it was some rock I put in there. LFS said it was cured, im thinking it was un-cured.

Thanx Lando.

My RO/DI unit will be here on friday, I wont have this issue any more :)

Until then, tap it is :(

We were changing 50-90g a day in December/January when we spilled food in the tank and there was no way we could run back and forth to the LFS fast enough (LOL). We would mix it for 24 and get it into the tank. I wasn't even using dechlor on it since it was sitting for 24 anyway (not that I'm recommending that). When it was all over we bought our own RO/DI and switched over after that. Don't sweat the tap water. It is much better than the ammo. We had ammo off the chart after 7minutes when we were spiking and everything made it through the spike.

thanks for the input Phyl. I did my emergency change tonight, and am brewing the batch for tomarrows water change. My RO/DI unit is supposed to be in by FedEx on friday, so i'll hopefully have some useful water on saturday

i would treat the water for the chlorine....i stressed my tang with a tap water change a few months back and his fins started decaying....he is better. you can always use drinking water (walmart) as a substitute. since have an RO/DI unit.

I did treat for chlorine with a very good dechlorinator. I didn't have time to let the first batch of water set and airate. The next batch of water for tonights change I let sit all night.

I hope it does not stress out my Tang, but I intend to keep doing changes throught the next week with RO/DI water when I get my unit tomarrow.

Back
Top Bottom