Emperor 400 Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just put water in my tank last night and am running an Emperor 400 with the included media packs. In addition to the included media, the filter also has two plastic media holders. I was thinking about adding additional carbon in these to help speed up the water polishing. I figure if I have to look at a tank with no fish for a month or so, it might as well be clean. Of course, once the water is clear, I will take these back out.

Is there any reason not to do this? Any negative effect on cycling etc?

Some people think you should remove carbon during cycling. I never have, and have always cycled in a normal amount of time. I also use the 400.

Bearfan said:
Oh yeah, I wouldn't add any additional carbon, it's probably overkill.

Thanks. Before I saw your reply, I actually did try the extra carbon in the media holder, but the carbon pieces were too small and were falling out. Guess I'll need to get a sleeve to hold it or something if I want to try that again sometime.

Guess I'll need to get a sleeve to hold it or something if I want to try that again sometime.

the foot end of a pair of panty hose works reall well. My wife buys those "knee highs" and when she comes in she just tosses a pack my way, I guess to keep me from looking them when I need them. :roll:

I use carbon in my baskets and it doesnt' fall out. I used the floss pads to help cycle, then after the cycle was done, I tossed them and now I just keep carbon to polish the water. WOrks GREAT

I also just use carbon in my filter pack, just make sure to rinse it well to get rid of the smaller particles. I also use it to polish the water, I just wouldn't do it during a cycle.

XXFirefighter said:
I use carbon in my baskets and it doesnt' fall out. I used the floss pads to help cycle, then after the cycle was done, I tossed them and now I just keep carbon to polish the water. WOrks GREAT

Maybe I just need to get a different brand of carbon. I used the Black Diamond by Marineland which are fairly small.

Back
Top Bottom