Empty quarantine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
K, I have a quarantine tank that I have fish in waiting quarantine time.. When that time is up, is it ok to empty the Q tank and leave it empty? Will it cycle the next time I add fish to it?

My understanding is you'd want to do something to keep the filter media cycled (Either start a new sponge/filter pad/ whatever or use that one if you had no problems) but yeah, you can just shut down the quarantine it's self. I tend to keep sponges in my running tanks to use in a qt or hospital if it comes up.

Empty the water out or just leave it in and running and just no fish?

Also, I have quite a bit of live rock in the tank and am reading that there should not be live rock in the tank?

Yeah, if you have to medicate the quarantine, you're medicating the Live rock. At this point, you might as well leave it. If you have no problems while the fish are in QT, great... just put the rock in your main tank with them. If you do, you might pull the rock it's self out, let it dry completely and then, after a week or two dry, put in your main tank. It'll reseed in there.

After this, though, leave the Live Rock out, or only put like one biggish peice that you can afford to loose. The fish might like something to hide around... though most folks around here I've read use large pipe fittings from home stores for that.

ok, so if i take all the live rock and put it in the display tank, will there be any filtration of the water without the live rock? All i have is an aqueon hang on the back filter..

And should i leave the tank with water and just let it run without fish in it? Maybe keep a snail or 2 and a couple crabs in it to keep it clean while it is empty (of fish)? or just drain it all together?

The filters internal media is the bio sorce, though you'll need to watch your water. Some leave it up, some don't, but if you medicate out could kill that cuc

I always keep an HOB running on my DT for my QT...When its time to QT your always ready..i tear mine down each time

FTMMWS said:
I always keep an HOB running on my DT for my QT...When its time to QT your always ready..i tear mine down each time

Lol the acronyms. Dt? U tear it down? Thought u said I leave it running?

I used to,,but now i just find it easier to set it up a week or so before hand,rather than leaving it up and doing top offs every other day..and the temptations of turnin g it into another set-up:lol:

Ok, so I have a HOB filter that says u need to change the filter every month, so if I put this in the sump if my DT then do i change the filter or leave it?

Here is a picture of the QT

Attachments

• image-1468807534.jpg
    image-1468807534.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 75
Anyone see any problems with the picture. Wanna make sure I did it right

Back
Top Bottom