Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Empty quarantine tank?

K, I have a quarantine tank that I have fish in waiting quarantine time.. When that time is up, is it ok to empty the Q tank and leave it empty? Will it cycle the next time I add fish to it?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My understanding is you'd want to do something to keep the filter media cycled (Either start a new sponge/filter pad/ whatever or use that one if you had no problems) but yeah, you can just shut down the quarantine it's self. I tend to keep sponges in my running tanks to use in a qt or hospital if it comes up.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Empty the water out or just leave it in and running and just no fish?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, I have quite a bit of live rock in the tank and am reading that there should not be live rock in the tank?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, if you have to medicate the quarantine, you're medicating the Live rock. At this point, you might as well leave it. If you have no problems while the fish are in QT, great... just put the rock in your main tank with them. If you do, you might pull the rock it's self out, let it dry completely and then, after a week or two dry, put in your main tank. It'll reseed in there.

After this, though, leave the Live Rock out, or only put like one biggish peice that you can afford to loose. The fish might like something to hide around... though most folks around here I've read use large pipe fittings from home stores for that.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok, so if i take all the live rock and put it in the display tank, will there be any filtration of the water without the live rock? All i have is an aqueon hang on the back filter..

And should i leave the tank with water and just let it run without fish in it? Maybe keep a snail or 2 and a couple crabs in it to keep it clean while it is empty (of fish)? or just drain it all together?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

The filters internal media is the bio sorce, though you'll need to watch your water. Some leave it up, some don't, but if you medicate out could kill that cuc
Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always keep an HOB running on my DT for my QT...When its time to QT your always ready..i tear mine down each time
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
I always keep an HOB running on my DT for my QT...When its time to QT your always ready..i tear mine down each time
Lol the acronyms. Dt? U tear it down? Thought u said I leave it running?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used to,,but now i just find it easier to set it up a week or so before hand,rather than leaving it up and doing top offs every other day..and the temptations of turnin g it into another set-up

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com