Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandry7 View Post
Wife just surprised me by getting a koralia wave pump flow rate 425 gph. Lady at the shop told her that is good for a 55 gallon tank, and that only 1 is needed. It looks pretty small and the back it says that it's for a 15-30 gal marine .... Should I return it or can I still use it?
That's a nano pump. The koralia 425, it's weak and not enough at all for a 55. Return it, bad advice from the pet store and your going to want 2 power heads. One at each side of the tank to crate random flow.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post

That's a nano pump. The koralia 425, it's weak and not enough at all for a 55. Return it, bad advice from the pet store and your going to want 2 power heads. One at each side of the tank to crate random flow.

Thanks, funny, that's what my wife asked them and they said no, about the 2 heads and how small the head was...hopefully it was just a misunderstanding it's the closest store that we have... Will return today...what's a better buy, a skimmer or the power heads?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandry7 View Post

Thanks, funny, that's what my wife asked them and they said no, about the 2 heads and how small the head was...hopefully it was just a misunderstanding it's the closest store that we have... Will return today...what's a better buy, a skimmer or the power heads?
Well... Your gonna need both. You need to flow to maintain pH and to keep everything happy. But in a 55 your gonna want a skimmer as well... I'd say if its a budget issue. Do the power heads and then skimmer.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post

Well... Your gonna need both. You need to flow to maintain pH and to keep everything happy. But in a 55 your gonna want a skimmer as well... I'd say if its a budget issue. Do the power heads and then skimmer.
Agreed. In a 55, 2 Koralia 1500's will be good. You won't need a skimmer until you start to stock it, and even with a light bioload a skimmer won't do too much but will be good to get one on so it can break in.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Don't add any livestock while you have detectable ammonia or nitrite.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank u all for ur advice ... Every time I think about running to the store and get some live stock u guys knock some sense into me...good to know that this is normal though...I do have a lot of life in the tank that I that came with the live rock I got last week, 1 turbo snail, 2 bristle worms, and a few small shrimps ( well what I think are shrimp)... It's been a week and a half and looks like more life is appearing, is it time for a skimmer yet?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would want to leave the dissolved organics in the tank for the bacteria colony to feed on. It's a waiting game now.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I would want to leave the dissolved organics in the tank for the bacteria colony to feed on. It's a waiting game now.
That's always been my thinking in regards to running a skimmer durin the cycle. It's counterproductive, really. The skimmer pulls out excess organics before they can turn into ammo, nitrites, etc. but during a cycle, you want those things to turn to ammonia. So pulling them out with a skimmer seems to me that will prolong the cycle. Obviously it can be run, but I say wait till the cycle's done.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Of course if you have a skimmer you can run it with the drain plug in the cup pulled out so the skimmate just runs back into the tank. Just a thought.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com