Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Endless Cycle?

Good evening you all, my tank has been cycling for well over 6 weeks. I'm currently reading 0 ammonia, 5+ppm of Nitrite, and ridiculously high Nitrate, upwards of 180. I'm just so confused as to what's going on. Everything was working well with spikes, but Nitrite & Nitrate never went back down. It's a 40 gallon breeder, 20 long sump. It was started with a piece of shrimp. It was BRS dry rock & 30lbs of sand. There are no power heads, just a Mag 7 hooked up to a Y loc line for return. Not sure exactly what's going. Using Ro/di & have had multiple stores test the water. Each producing the same results! Any help?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates will not go down. You will end up with zero ammonia and nitrites and your nitrates will be high at the end.

Someone that has had a cycle stall can probably answer why.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im not sure what to do... Maybe a 40% water change in order to get the nitrite on the lower end or so? It has been this high for a longgggg time!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't do a 40% water change.

Try adding a small Powerhead to increase flow slightly. It could be that there is not enough water being pushed through the rock.

It could also be the fact you used dried rock rather than cured rock as it needs time to cure itself before becoming live. Although its normally done within 4 - 6 weeks.

I'd say hang in there for another week and keep testing.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did a small 10 gallon water change yesterday. I'm going to let it sit for 2 more days before I test. The tank is receiving adequate flow, the mag 7 is wide open & below the water & the surface is greatly agitated. I'm unsure, I'm assuming it's because of dry rock. I did add two small hermits & a Nassarius Snail & they are all doing fine.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Usually snails and crabs are added after the first fish to clean up the uneaten food and fish waste. Could be another player in the stall

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, I doubt it. The only thing they have to eat is the small parts of decomposed shrimp I used to initiate the cycle. They are smaller than my finger nail.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just throwing ideas out there

Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I know. Thanks, it's just frustrating. No one really seems to understand the situation, or at least explain it.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Two things...you just mentioned CUC eating the shrimp. I think that could be part of it. Is there any shrimp left to decompose? Also, what is your PH? I am cycling my 240g tank now, using Dr Tim's One and Only (bottled bacteria) and they mention that low pH can cause a cycle to stall. Apparently you want it to lower than 7. I thought of this thread as I was reading last night.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com