Endless Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JsQuid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good evening you all, my tank has been cycling for well over 6 weeks. I'm currently reading 0 ammonia, 5+ppm of Nitrite, and ridiculously high Nitrate, upwards of 180. I'm just so confused as to what's going on. Everything was working well with spikes, but Nitrite & Nitrate never went back down. It's a 40 gallon breeder, 20 long sump. It was started with a piece of shrimp. It was BRS dry rock & 30lbs of sand. There are no power heads, just a Mag 7 hooked up to a Y loc line for return. Not sure exactly what's going. Using Ro/di & have had multiple stores test the water. Each producing the same results! Any help?

Nitrates will not go down. You will end up with zero ammonia and nitrites and your nitrates will be high at the end.

Someone that has had a cycle stall can probably answer why.

Im not sure what to do... Maybe a 40% water change in order to get the nitrite on the lower end or so? It has been this high for a longgggg time!

I wouldn't do a 40% water change.

Try adding a small Powerhead to increase flow slightly. It could be that there is not enough water being pushed through the rock.

It could also be the fact you used dried rock rather than cured rock as it needs time to cure itself before becoming live. Although its normally done within 4 - 6 weeks.

I'd say hang in there for another week and keep testing.

I did a small 10 gallon water change yesterday. I'm going to let it sit for 2 more days before I test. The tank is receiving adequate flow, the mag 7 is wide open & below the water & the surface is greatly agitated. I'm unsure, I'm assuming it's because of dry rock. I did add two small hermits & a Nassarius Snail & they are all doing fine.

No, I doubt it. The only thing they have to eat is the small parts of decomposed shrimp I used to initiate the cycle. They are smaller than my finger nail.

Yeah I know. Thanks, it's just frustrating. No one really seems to understand the situation, or at least explain it.

Two things...you just mentioned CUC eating the shrimp. I think that could be part of it. Is there any shrimp left to decompose? Also, what is your PH? I am cycling my 240g tank now, using Dr Tim's One and Only (bottled bacteria) and they mention that low pH can cause a cycle to stall. Apparently you want it to lower than 7. I thought of this thread as I was reading last night.

PH is about 8.1 or so... And the remaining shrimp is so decomposed when moved it crumbles into a Million particles.

I would do a large water change 100% if you can Thats the only thing that will get those nitrAtes down quickly. You can try using macro algae in the sump but it will take a while to bring them down. Have you tested the RO/DI water prior to use? It may have high nitrAtes. Test the new salt water as well

Yes, all the water is good. It's all reading 0. I top off with ro/di every day. I'm not able to do a 100% water change.. I don't have the money or resources. I would like to throw in some Cheato to help lower everything. This is beginning to become real annoying.

Dont let it get to you it's all part of the curve. Cheato will help a lot but it takes a long time ideally you want to start with as little nitrates as you can then the cheato can keep them in check. Just do as large a water change as you can a 50% PWC will half those nitrates bringing them down to 90ppm I'd wait until i could do a 100% water change, with no fish in the tank there's no hurry

Yeah I understand. Without any water changes, what would be an accurate time table for the completion of the cycle? If you had to guess...

Curiosity has been killing me since the 10 gallon water change yesterday. So I ran a test on Nitrite to see if there was any effect. The tests produced good results, the Nitrite reading is about 2.5 ppm. It was reading about 5 or so. Hopefully that water change will be enough to get the cycle back on the right track!

On the bright side your above avg. :whistle: Getting those trAtes down will help it cycle, the're poison and can cause a stall by killing the good bacti.

I didn't know that. I will test for nitrates tomorrow! Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom