entering into week 3 of cycling is all ok ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomsona

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tea Tree Gully in South Australia, Hottest State i
Hey Guys and Gals,

i have just started week 3 of cycling and i thought i would post my test results so far,

14/2

Nitrate - 0 ppm
Ammonia - 0.10
Ph - 8.1
Hydrometer - 1.020 (perfectly in the middle green section)
Temp - 27 degrees

i still have some diatom coverage on the crushed coral but all the research i have looked up says this is a good sign the cycling is doing its job,

ill try and post a couple pictures but im pretty Noob to all of this

Cheers

Andrew Thomson

photo1om.jpg

photo2dn.jpg

Did your ammoinia ever reach anything higher than .10? I'd prefer it was at least 3x higher than that at its peak. If it wasn't, I'd add more base rock (cheaper that way) and add a grocery store shrimp to help the cycle.

you may want to remove those crabs, they might not be good. and the diatoms are a good sign of a cycle happening

You can add industrial grade ammonia (no other ingredients) instead of a shrimp, but you do want to get the ammonia level over 1 (even higher would be better).

Not much higher life will survive the higher ammonia levels, but after the cycle, there's an amazing amount of life coming out of LR.

I'd be concerned that it went only as hish as .2 with that little bit of rock in there. if it were me, I'dd add more rock and cycle again. The cycle you've completed with that small amount of rock'd make me add only small fish very slowly and be concerned about more ammoina showing up.

Rationale for not adding rock?

It will allow you to have more fish because of the natural filtration that occurs from the organisms/benefiicial bacteria living on it after you cycle.

If your LR was already cured then your ammonia spike may not go as high as everyone is thinking. With my 120g it never even had to cycle as all my LR was cured.

+1 to rush.

All my LR had been in my lfs long enough that it had cured, and were actually growing coraline algae, and during my cycle..if you could call it that..my ammonia never went over .25

Check out pics of other reef tanks. Coral doesn't often come on large rock sufficient to create nicer aquascapes IMO. BUying coral and hoping to fill the tank more will mean smaller pieces of rock I believe. I'd still voter for more rock to create ledges and spaces where smaller rocks with new coral might fit.

Anyway, look at a few other tanks and you decide if you're happy with your current rock. Just my two cents.

I would put 3x the rock in there and scoot it toward the back of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom