Epuerto's 55g corner build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree Cary. I wouldn't put a live shrimp in. I would wait until the trite is at zero. But here again, I am no expert so I'm going off what I've read and learned here

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Well the nitrate is going to be 0 - here i refer to no3 the waste product of no2 consuming bacteria, when all bacteria in the aquarium are dead and 100% of water has got changed.
As the matter of fact in sw aquas no3 rises perpetually so thus either additional chemistry added to controll them is required or weekly pwcs.

If I were Epuerto - I would do the 20% pwc in order to pull down the no2 and no3 level and introduce a live shrimp to produce the ammonia and let the nature to do the rest. When the shrimp is alive for more than a week I'd introduce a live fish - one of the robust ones and end-up the fishless cycling at this very moment.

With my best wishes
Tomás

Well the nitrate is going to be 0 - here i refer to no3 the waste product of no2 consuming bacteria, when all bacteria in the aquarium are dead and 100% of water has got changed.
As the matter of fact in sw aquas no3 rises perpetually so thus either additional chemistry added to controll them is required or weekly pwcs.

If I were Epuerto - I would do the 20% pwc in order to pull down the no2 and no3 level and introduce a live shrimp to produce the ammonia and let the nature to do the rest. When the shrimp is alive for more than a week I'd introduce a live fish - one of the robust ones and end-up the fishless cycling at this very moment.

With my best wishes
Tomás

lol so i think i am going 2 do the 20% pwc ?

Hmm, that seems to contradict everything said about a tank cycle. Why, if he already has a decomposing shrimp in the tank would you put a live one in and subject it to that? And I've always been told to only do a PWC once the cycle was complete

Well,,, I would do that and I did that ;) My point is that no3 cannot be at the level 0 in any way. When it happens there's not live active bacteria in the tank. I myself prefer to choose the moment right before the end of cycling the tank to introduce first tank inhabitant (part from bacteria of course).
The reason for this is the fact that all ammonia consuming (and no2 producing) bacteria are active as well as the no2 consumers (and no3 producing).
When you let the cycling to linger on for too long you'd end-up with 0 nh3,nh4 (ammonia) and 0 no2 but high level no3, which means that ammonia consuming bacterias have nothing to eat (die - go into dormancy) as well as no2 consumming ones. Thus what I do I start making aquarium alive right before that stage and doing the first pwc like before in order to keep the entire ecosystem live and active.
I hope it does make sense.

With my best wishes
Tomasz

Well E, I'm not sure buddy. Eather wait for someone to chime in with a 3rd opinion or just do what you feel is best for your tank

There will be no harm waiting a day or even two. Sounds like a short insurance policy to just wait and see what your numbers go to. You've been waiting this long. :)

You're def not ready for a live shrimp. I've lost a cleaner from nitrates nevermind nitrites. Wait till your nitrites read 0. Do a PWC, then I waited another week and added a fish. Let that go for a week or so and then add a shrimp. Patience is the virtue lol. Better safe than sorry.

ALRIGHT IM BACK AND HERE ARE MY PARAMETERS FOR THE DAY !
ammonia-0
nitrite- .25ppm
nitrate- 10ppm
tell me what you think!

You've made it. Now wait even longer lol. Id do a PWC and wait a few days test again and if everything is still good add a fish.

Back
Top Bottom