Epuerto's 55g corner build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thing is my teacher is useless, she hasnt taught us anything alll year she might be crazy, and she can barely speak english, and the freshwatr part, she is getting gravel and a test kit what do i do? how should i test the water
what do i look for, does the water need some salt?

It's just like SW minus the salt (only use hypo-salinity when battling ich). The tank still has to cycle and you have to test for pH, Nitrate/ites, and ammonia. Other than that, you're pretty much good to go.

Yeah most fw fish dont like a high ph, cichlids are an exceprion there may be others as well... Ph isn't really a big deal though for most fw as long as its steady.

You got it! As someone said earlier, the pH is [generally] the only difference between fresh and salt.

if I was in this situation, I would start over. I've invested too much money in my tank for me to consider backing out. The only other option is for me to do a FW tank, but I know in the end I would be unsatisfied and retry SW. I really love this hobby so far so I wouldn't give up. I guess the question is do you like it enough to restart? Or try to get back MAYBE half of your money

What im supposed to throw out my rocks and sand? no way should i do a 70% wc or a 50% every three days to get it straigt

Here's my advice: Take out your rocks and drain as much water as you can out. Clean up the inside of the tank really well. Fill it back up and do a LARGE pwc to get rid of anything bad you cleaned up and to get the gunk outta the sand. Fill again and start over.

You probably won't have much of a cycle since you're putting back the LR that cycled already. :)

This time out I would suggest adding your cuc and any inverts first. Then onto small and not real expensive fish. try some clowns, blennies or a goby. after your tank is doing good for a few months add in the fish of your choice.

I hope this helps and if you need any more encouragement just post!

:-D

OOO MY GODDDDDDDD HE IS ALIVE the SHRIMP IS ALLLIIVVVVEEEEEE HOLY (BEEPPPP))) HEE IS Alive that was the most realistic molt i have ever sennnnnneeeb!!!!!!!!!11 w000000000000000tttttttttt wooooooooooooooooooottttttttt w00000000000ttttttttttttttt

Alright i came back from a new lfs and had to get myself 5 hermits, and a star polyp 2" frag for a total of 11 bucks, what do you think?

I think that's a good price. I've missed some posts, did you find out what caused to to lose your fish ?

MY best guess was the fish store the fish never ate anything... i just put the coral in i got alot of diatoms those hermits better get to work the frag is closed but hopefully they will come out and play, i am thinking about having corals like zoas, shrooms, and other low light corals and maybe 2 clownfish and thats all what do you think? also my fish tank that i am setting up at school is getting cloudy, is that because of the bacteria blooming? i need help with that cuz i dont know nothing bout fresh =P

Epuerto said:
MY best guess was the fish store the fish never ate anything... i just put the coral in i got alot of diatoms those hermits better get to work the frag is closed but hopefully they will come out and play, i am thinking about having corals like zoas, shrooms, and other low light corals and maybe 2 clownfish and thats all what do you think? also my fish tank that i am setting up at school is getting cloudy, is that because of the bacteria blooming? i need help with that cuz i dont know nothing bout fresh =P

Did they eat for you ? If so there may be a problem that remains in the tank and if you don't correct it you could be setting yourself up for failure again.

The diatoms are normal for a new tank but if they don't go away you might have a excessive nutrient problem. Usually caused by over feeding. Or it could be from using tap water instead of ro/di water.

The frag should open up soon as it adjusts to your tank/lighting. Those other corals sound good as they are hardy and photosynthetic which is nice lol.

As for the FW setup, I don't know anything about it lol. Is it by a window ? That could cause algae problems.

Back
Top Bottom