Epuerto's 55g corner build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would most likely say yeah, a water change would be a good thing, it certainly can't hurt.

If everything looks good i would be very careful as to what you add. Go slow, patience wins the race in saltwater. :-D

What were you thinking of stocking?

You have a 48" tank don't you?
Thats a 24" light.....

Chromis sound like a good choice. I strated with 5 blue reef chromis and now have 3 left. One took the jump and the other just disappeared. So you may lose one or tow here or there. people say that it's quite normal when dealing with chromis.

Long way to go to a mandarin, but not never. LOL Just work on the easy stuff first then you can dream away!

I have one of those led lights for my new 60g tank. I have it over my 20g for now and it's very bright. Not sure it will be enough light spread for your tank but it may. :)

Well, the tank is eating up ammonia within 24 hours so I figure you still have the benficial bacteria. BUT I would bet if you dosed to a higher amount like 4ppm that it would take longer to eat it. But since you can't do that cause you have critters i would say you can add something now.

Do you have algae issues at all? Do you want to add some clean up crew first or a fish? I wouldnt add too many fish right off cause i think you have a cycle but a soft one. It will most likely take the biofilter awhile after each fish addition to catch up.

I have one of those led lights for my new 60g tank. I have it over my 20g for now and it's very bright. Not sure it will be enough light spread for your tank but it may. :)

Well, the tank is eating up ammonia within 24 hours so I figure you still have the benficial bacteria. BUT I would bet if you dosed to a higher amount like 4ppm that it would take longer to eat it. But since you can't do that cause you have critters i would say you can add something now.

Do you have algae issues at all? Do you want to add some clean up crew first or a fish? I wouldnt add too many fish right off cause i think you have a cycle but a soft one. It will most likely take the biofilter awhile after each fish addition to catch up.

No no algae issures, just some green skim sorta on the glass that comes right off, and coraline growing nicely on the glass and powerheads, no cyno or anyother nuisence algae other than a one inch diameter hair algae on my powerhead which i will ciphon out,

And i made a new thread for the light fixture, and was reading about them on dougs 250 thread, and mr. x posted on it with some more par readings and area that each light covers, just going to wait until i see his results on the light lol.

Also for starter fish i was going to see if i could pick up 2 clowns 2 start with and a couple hermits tommorow.

And i was about to do a 15g ish wc to make sure of everything

Just to jump in since you were talking about lighting. I am researching new lights for my new 55 gal. This is the LED unit I am really gravitating towards.

EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w LED Light Fixture - English

It is a tad pricey...but solid. If it makes you feel better about the price, I'll need 2 for my tank!

Wow that has to be expensive lol 1400 for lighting, id rather buy a solid halide unit with a cooler, but thats just me ! They do look wicked though lol.

Yeah, i think everyone would get the ecotech radion if the prcie was like half! LOL My lfs has 3 of them and we played with the programming for hours, they are definitely pimp. :-D

I think the 2 clowns would be a good idea. For peace of mind I would test the water almost daily after though, there's no real telling how strong the bio filter is in your tank. It's been empty for awhile pretty much so it's running on a low bioload. Not that 2 little fish are gonna spike the ammonia to anythign deadly in a day, but it can add up.

Just go slow and pay real close attention to the tank. You can do this, I remember when you first started you were all over this tank and learning stuff so you can do it again. :-D

And thats your motivational speech of the day! LOL

Yeah, i think everyone would get the ecotech radion if the prcie was like half! LOL My lfs has 3 of them and we played with the programming for hours, they are definitely pimp. :-D

I think the 2 clowns would be a good idea. For peace of mind I would test the water almost daily after though, there's no real telling how strong the bio filter is in your tank. It's been empty for awhile pretty much so it's running on a low bioload. Not that 2 little fish are gonna spike the ammonia to anythign deadly in a day, but it can add up.

Just go slow and pay real close attention to the tank. You can do this, I remember when you first started you were all over this tank and learning stuff so you can do it again. :-D

And thats your motivational speech of the day! LOL
thanks lol hopefully i could do this, any other reccomandations of things i should get ready, i have some frozen food, mysis and brine, then i also have some formula 2 marine pellets, is there anyother food i should pick up tommorow?

ok it seems like it will be a couple more days until i get a fish because there are a few problems, i wanted to clean my koralias because it seemed they where not putting out as much ummphh like before and cleaned them with water and vinegear, same with my filter, when removing the filter i looked at my surge protecter and it seemed like it caught fire before, black scorche marks on it, so i am getting rid of it and i am going to get another one i am going to mount on the inside of the stand to keep it out of the wa of water, removed some salt creep, and my filter seems like its in bad condition going to have to order a new aquaclear 110, and it seems like one of the bulbs in my fixture burned out, so since the fixture is garbage anyway im going to wait until tank is stable and i am going to get the led system. so its going to be a couple days more until i add the fishies =)

Well replaced the old surge protector, lol one of the ports litterally was melted down! But put in a 10 outlet industral one that was used to power icey coolers, but this one is mounted in the stand off the floor, and all the chords have droops so water cant get 2 it =) got filter working but i still want to put in a aquaclear, clown will have to wait a few more days lol

ok Got in a new filter today and a digital thermometer, everything is hooked up and ready 2 go, both the clownfish are doing well swimming and eating, what is next?

Have you tested your water? What were the results? Glad the fclowns are doing good, they are adorable aren't they? You should post a picture up. lol

Now you sit and wait and think about what you want to do next. Do you want to add any crabs or snails? Any algae issues yet? You don't NEED to get snails and the such but if you like em now could be a good time to get a few. I would wait at least 2 weeks between the time you added the clowns before i would think about another fish. Unless you come up with any ammonia between now and then I think you can add another fish. :)

What were you thinking of next?

the nitrates where very low at like5 ppm that was the onlything that spiked, no ammonia or anything, ph is a 8.2 and temp is at 79.2 (awesome having a thermometer) and the only algae is some brown growing on my rocks, been a while i forgotten the name, other than that there is no other nuisence, and for fish i was thinking of a goby, blennie, or chromis

Back
Top Bottom