Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #321
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol ok

Old 03-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #322
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxVooDooxX View Post
I agree Cary. I wouldn't put a live shrimp in. I would wait until the trite is at zero. But here again, I am no expert so I'm going off what I've read and learned here

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
Well the nitrate is going to be 0 - here i refer to no3 the waste product of no2 consuming bacteria, when all bacteria in the aquarium are dead and 100% of water has got changed.
As the matter of fact in sw aquas no3 rises perpetually so thus either additional chemistry added to controll them is required or weekly pwcs.

If I were Epuerto - I would do the 20% pwc in order to pull down the no2 and no3 level and introduce a live shrimp to produce the ammonia and let the nature to do the rest. When the shrimp is alive for more than a week I'd introduce a live fish - one of the robust ones and end-up the fishless cycling at this very moment.

With my best wishes
Tomás

Old 03-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #323
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_tm666 View Post
Well the nitrate is going to be 0 - here i refer to no3 the waste product of no2 consuming bacteria, when all bacteria in the aquarium are dead and 100% of water has got changed.
As the matter of fact in sw aquas no3 rises perpetually so thus either additional chemistry added to controll them is required or weekly pwcs.

If I were Epuerto - I would do the 20% pwc in order to pull down the no2 and no3 level and introduce a live shrimp to produce the ammonia and let the nature to do the rest. When the shrimp is alive for more than a week I'd introduce a live fish - one of the robust ones and end-up the fishless cycling at this very moment.

With my best wishes
Tomás
lol so i think i am going 2 do the 20% pwc ?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #324
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm, that seems to contradict everything said about a tank cycle. Why, if he already has a decomposing shrimp in the tank would you put a live one in and subject it to that? And I've always been told to only do a PWC once the cycle was complete

Old 03-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #325
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol i am so confused =)
Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #326

Well,,, I would do that and I did that My point is that no3 cannot be at the level 0 in any way. When it happens there's not live active bacteria in the tank. I myself prefer to choose the moment right before the end of cycling the tank to introduce first tank inhabitant (part from bacteria of course).
The reason for this is the fact that all ammonia consuming (and no2 producing) bacteria are active as well as the no2 consumers (and no3 producing).
When you let the cycling to linger on for too long you'd end-up with 0 nh3,nh4 (ammonia) and 0 no2 but high level no3, which means that ammonia consuming bacterias have nothing to eat (die - go into dormancy) as well as no2 consumming ones. Thus what I do I start making aquarium alive right before that stage and doing the first pwc like before in order to keep the entire ecosystem live and active.
I hope it does make sense.

With my best wishes
Tomasz
Old 03-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #327
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well E, I'm not sure buddy. Eather wait for someone to chime in with a 3rd opinion or just do what you feel is best for your tank

Old 03-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #328
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There will be no harm waiting a day or even two. Sounds like a short insurance policy to just wait and see what your numbers go to. You've been waiting this long.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #329
Aquarium Advice FINatic

+1

Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
There will be no harm waiting a day or even two.
Totally agreed here no2 should get lower naturally though. Epuerto lives in Florida so the quickest way would be to bring few buckets of ocean water home

With my best wishes
Tomasz

Tags
55 gallon, build, build thread, corner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com