Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #511
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
Drain it. put the rocks in a bucket. Put sand in a bucket. Scrub the tank. Rinse it. aquascape. Sand. Voila. Your tank should still be cycled from the sand and the rock. Plug everything back in and go get a happy little clownfish and try again.

That's probably overkill. I just thing physically starting over might help separate the bad and become a "new start".

Old 04-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #512
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what if i do a 80% waterchange or something? and take out all the rocks?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #513
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think you even need to do that. I fighured a fresh start would be easier for psychological reasons. Personally I love aquascaping. I think getting back to something fun rather than looking at an empty tank would do worlds.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #514
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i will do a huge water change and change the rocks WHAT IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #515
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then you start over again.

No one can make you keep trying. You have to want to. I know you're really discouraged. I've been there. A lot of us have. All we can do is tell you not to give up. If you don't want to, no one can make you.

honestly it seems like you don't want to take words of encouragement and the more people tell you not to quit the more frustrated you seem to get. No one knows if it'll happen again. At that point, you have to WANT to continue. If you keep going halfheartedly, you're not going to enjoy it. There's no point in having a hobby you don't enjoy...
Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #516
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm with starting over. I think it will be the best idea. Take out the rocks and scrub the tank interior. Maybe theres something in the tank that poisoned everything, you wont know unless you clean it well.

have you tested your water for copper btw? Some fish stores run copper with their fish and if any of the lfs water got into your tank that would have been very bad.

It's just an odd thing that I thought of. One of my LFs' run copper and warned me explicitly not to get any water in my display tank.

Hang in there, you have a great setup and it would suck to not use it. You know you can do it. I bet your tank looks even better this time around.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #517
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think latent copper wouldn't have killed the fish though. I had the same thought.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #518
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

you're probably right. Just looking for anything that could have been overlooked.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #519
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been too. I have a love hate relationship with stuff like this. I've been racking my brain trying to think of anything that could have gone wrong enough to kill everything.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #520
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's not that they were swimming in toxic water really. he had a slight ammonia surge but that shouldnt have killed every fish and the shrimp so quickly, least not in my opinion. If this has happened before to him theres gotta be something we are missing.

His rock is brand new I believe so it's not that...same for his sand...not sure what they could have leached anyways but you never know.

Tags
55 gallon, build, build thread, corner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com