Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #641
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would most likely say yeah, a water change would be a good thing, it certainly can't hurt.

If everything looks good i would be very careful as to what you add. Go slow, patience wins the race in saltwater.

What were you thinking of stocking?

Old 02-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #642
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First of i wanted to just get a few chromis, because i love that they school =) and they are hardy, pair of clowns, then some other small fish like a coral beauty, then down the road try to introduce a red mandarin. And a light source if all goes well for some corals, i was thinking about this one but cant find any info on it eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #643
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You have a 48" tank don't you?
Thats a 24" light.....

Chromis sound like a good choice. I strated with 5 blue reef chromis and now have 3 left. One took the jump and the other just disappeared. So you may lose one or tow here or there. people say that it's quite normal when dealing with chromis.

Long way to go to a mandarin, but not never. LOL Just work on the easy stuff first then you can dream away!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #644
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have a 54 corner, it only has a 26" opening on the top
ik i cant wait i am going to do the water test soon to check out the ammonia levels
i was also shown this 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Grow Light- BLACK Acquarium LED | eBay
what do you think about that?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #645
Aquarium Advice FINatic

GOOD NEWS, just checked my ammonia levels and its back down to undetectable levels =) now what carey =)
Old 02-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #646
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have one of those led lights for my new 60g tank. I have it over my 20g for now and it's very bright. Not sure it will be enough light spread for your tank but it may.

Well, the tank is eating up ammonia within 24 hours so I figure you still have the benficial bacteria. BUT I would bet if you dosed to a higher amount like 4ppm that it would take longer to eat it. But since you can't do that cause you have critters i would say you can add something now.

Do you have algae issues at all? Do you want to add some clean up crew first or a fish? I wouldnt add too many fish right off cause i think you have a cycle but a soft one. It will most likely take the biofilter awhile after each fish addition to catch up.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #647
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Just to jump in since you were talking about lighting. I am researching new lights for my new 55 gal. This is the LED unit I am really gravitating towards.

EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w LED Light Fixture - English

It is a tad pricey...but solid. If it makes you feel better about the price, I'll need 2 for my tank!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #648
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I have one of those led lights for my new 60g tank. I have it over my 20g for now and it's very bright. Not sure it will be enough light spread for your tank but it may.

Well, the tank is eating up ammonia within 24 hours so I figure you still have the benficial bacteria. BUT I would bet if you dosed to a higher amount like 4ppm that it would take longer to eat it. But since you can't do that cause you have critters i would say you can add something now.

Do you have algae issues at all? Do you want to add some clean up crew first or a fish? I wouldnt add too many fish right off cause i think you have a cycle but a soft one. It will most likely take the biofilter awhile after each fish addition to catch up.
No no algae issures, just some green skim sorta on the glass that comes right off, and coraline growing nicely on the glass and powerheads, no cyno or anyother nuisence algae other than a one inch diameter hair algae on my powerhead which i will ciphon out,

And i made a new thread for the light fixture, and was reading about them on dougs 250 thread, and mr. x posted on it with some more par readings and area that each light covers, just going to wait until i see his results on the light lol.

Also for starter fish i was going to see if i could pick up 2 clowns 2 start with and a couple hermits tommorow.

And i was about to do a 15g ish wc to make sure of everything
Old 02-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #649
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Just to jump in since you were talking about lighting. I am researching new lights for my new 55 gal. This is the LED unit I am really gravitating towards.

EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w LED Light Fixture - English

It is a tad pricey...but solid. If it makes you feel better about the price, I'll need 2 for my tank!
Wow that has to be expensive lol 1400 for lighting, id rather buy a solid halide unit with a cooler, but thats just me ! They do look wicked though lol.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #650
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, i think everyone would get the ecotech radion if the prcie was like half! LOL My lfs has 3 of them and we played with the programming for hours, they are definitely pimp.

I think the 2 clowns would be a good idea. For peace of mind I would test the water almost daily after though, there's no real telling how strong the bio filter is in your tank. It's been empty for awhile pretty much so it's running on a low bioload. Not that 2 little fish are gonna spike the ammonia to anythign deadly in a day, but it can add up.

Just go slow and pay real close attention to the tank. You can do this, I remember when you first started you were all over this tank and learning stuff so you can do it again.

And thats your motivational speech of the day! LOL

Tags
55 gallon, build, build thread, corner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com