Epuerto's 55g corner build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea they should open fully tomorrow if they already started to open today. The diatoms will pass as long as you don't over feed, keep up with PWC's and you use ro/di water

What kind of filter do you have on the FW? My FW tanks are usually clear because I have good mechanical and chemical filters. I never even knew that biological filters helped until I started W

the onlything my teacher has is a undergravel with carbon so thismorning my polyps are alll open swaying in the current good?

I did some very quick research because I am unfamiliar with undergravel and found some information that are pretty negative towards this kind of filtration

There is minimal mechanical and chemical filtration from undergravel filtration which might be the cause the water to be cloudy. I believe a decent mechanical and chemical filtration is needed to make your water clear at first since any waste released in the water would take longer to break down due to the small amount of bacteria. Website where I got this info is below

The Undergravel Filter Controversy

I also found out that using carbon with undergravel filtration is bad because the amount of carbon in the cartridges are so small, it only lasts a few days. Also, having carbon on top of the inlets of the undergravel tray would block the flow of water, thus limiting filtration. Website about this is below:

HowStuffWorks "Aquarium Filter Designs: Undergravel Filters"

That was just information I got from the two first websites I got when I googled undergravel filtration so it might be bias

I dont have experience with it, but i've heard it talked about. It makes sense about the carbon though since there is no way to change it.

Last time I was "into" fish UGF were all the rage. Alot of people still swear by them. The replacement carbon cartridges can get expensive too. If well taken care of though the ugf should work as well as any other filtration method.

I did some very quick research because I am unfamiliar with undergravel and found some information that are pretty negative towards this kind of filtration

There is minimal mechanical and chemical filtration from undergravel filtration which might be the cause the water to be cloudy. I believe a decent mechanical and chemical filtration is needed to make your water clear at first since any waste released in the water would take longer to break down due to the small amount of bacteria. Website where I got this info is below

The Undergravel Filter Controversy

I also found out that using carbon with undergravel filtration is bad because the amount of carbon in the cartridges are so small, it only lasts a few days. Also, having carbon on top of the inlets of the undergravel tray would block the flow of water, thus limiting filtration. Website about this is below:

HowStuffWorks "Aquarium Filter Designs: Undergravel Filters"

That was just information I got from the two first websites I got when I googled undergravel filtration so it might be bias
Thanks for all the info!

dont know why i havnt yet so take a look what are the best snails to get rid of diatoms?

Attachments

• baby tang 052.jpg
    baby tang 052.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 120
i just got back from my lfs yet again and i returned those dreaded damsels lmao, i bought a beautiful cowerie snail about 2 1/2 inches and 4 snails for 11 bucks yet again lmao the turbos are already making huge differences in the sand and the hermits are sill running around cleaning and my fire shrimp looks much bigger since the molt, tell me what u think

Back
Top Bottom