Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #11

John now I am getting more confused. Everybody has told me to have at least 2 PH. I am planning to upgrade to Reef after I get experience. You really think 2 AC for 30 gal. will be to much for the 29?
Old 07-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry to confuse.

The rule of thumb is 10-15x flow for reefs. So for a 29g, you can have up to 450gph (15x29). Your skimmer will have some flow, maybe 200gph, not sure.

Just saying that the less pumps in the system, the easier to control the temp. If your skimmer is one one side of the tank, you can place the PH one the other side flowinf across the length of the tank. It really all depends on how you rockwork is placed.

John

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #13

So I should buy 1 instead of 2?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
IMHO, I'd get two. Skimmers are rated for certain tank sizes, but IME don't really count towards the total GPH of the tank. I have two AC 30's in my 29 gallon and a skimmer rated for a 100 gallon tank, with no problems

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #15

Awesome Devilshirts, Awesome. That is all I wanted to hear was somebody with a 29 and it works. I can't wait til I am ready to go. I am going to post a step by step so I can get opinions and help other newbies.

Thanks Again
Old 07-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Welcome. FWIW, I have one powerhead on the right back of the glass facing along the back and one in the front left of the left side facing along the front. This creates sorta a circling motion in the tank. Alot of people push theirs in the middle to create a crashing effect. This hasn't been the best option for me and created alot of deadspots in my tank. You can experiment with what works best for you. Like john said, it depends alot on your rockwork.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I had a 29G for 5 months which i broke down a week ago. I had 2 PHs with a total of 320GPH flow and it wasn't even enough to prevent my tank from having a cyano outbreak :/ I suggest you get 2 maxijet powerheads then modify them with the maxi mod. Put them on an on/off timer to create random flows. That way you will have 4 currents for the price/heat of 2 PH's

Here's how the mod works: http://www.geocities.com/nivenboug/Cutmaxijets.html

HTH
Old 07-16-2006, 01:18 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have two maxijet 900's in my 29gal tank and my tank sits at about 82 degrees. I didnt want to go with the 1200's because I thought it maybe to much flow. I have mine pointing at eachother creating the crashing effect that Devilishturtles was talking about. So far so good. I am moving tanks now but it seemed to work well for me. I dont know the exact flow on them is though? HTH
Old 07-16-2006, 01:27 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
FYI, The maxijet 900 creates 230GPH flow
Old 07-16-2006, 01:33 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

[quote] Put them on an on/off timer to create random flows. That way you will have 4 currents for the price/heat of 2 PH's[quote]

Thats a great point about the random flow.

As far as two powerheads vs one...IMO flow is flow and the skimmer does create a current in the tank, so it could count as part of the gph, just like you would count the flow from a sump as part of your flow equation.

I was just worried that in such a small tank, 3 pumps (skimmer plus 2 PH) IMO seems like a lot. Maybe those zoomed PH just create a lot of extra heat.

John

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com