Equip List. Please look over for a newbieEDIT + PH Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as two powerheads vs one...IMO flow is flow and the skimmer does create a current in the tank, so it could count as part of the gph, just like you would count the flow from a sump as part of your flow equation.

I wouldn't be worried so much about that. I had 4 pumps: 2 maxijets 600, 1 maxijet 400 and a pump that came with my CSS "125" in my 29G. Didn't have any heat issue. If you are so concerned about heat, don't reduce flow just to lower the heat, get a couple of hang-on fans.

i don't mean to suggest that you should lower the flow, just saying that you don't necessarrly needs that many powerheads to create the same type of currents. I have seen many floursihing reefs that have no powerheads in the main tank and just rely on the flow created by the sump returns.

There are more then one way to skin a cat. I am just suggesting that you could get the same results using less equipment, just depends on how you aquascape and where you place the powerheads. Deadspots are inevitable, and in my experience, abiet short experience, cyno outbreaks are more of a water quality problem than a flow problem.

John

I apprecaite all the sugguestions. I guess it is like a lot of you said that it is a matter of seeing what works for you best.

Thanks

Im not trying to agrue against everything you say, john, just trying to get it straight :)

i don't mean to suggest that you should lower the flow, just saying that you don't necessarrly needs that many powerheads to create the same type of currents

There is a big big difference between having 1 PH and 2 PH's. 1 PH only produces 1 single, boring, circular flow. With 2 PH's, the 2 flows can crash together to create more random flows. If i remember it right, this is what i've read from a book by julian sprung:

There are 3 kinds of water movement in the ocean: surge, turbulence, and some other word that he used for big, one-direction flow. So with just 1 PH, u can't possibly create any surge or turbulence.... Circular flow in a reef aquarium is not suggested.

Also I really doubt that any reef tank can be healthy from just the flow of the returning pump with no pumps/PH's to create additional flow. Filters and returning pump only create a small water movement on the surface so without any additional PH's, there would be dead spots all over the tank.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably get the refractometer if it is more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom