Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2006, 01:50 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Quote:
As far as two powerheads vs one...IMO flow is flow and the skimmer does create a current in the tank, so it could count as part of the gph, just like you would count the flow from a sump as part of your flow equation.
I wouldn't be worried so much about that. I had 4 pumps: 2 maxijets 600, 1 maxijet 400 and a pump that came with my CSS "125" in my 29G. Didn't have any heat issue. If you are so concerned about heat, don't reduce flow just to lower the heat, get a couple of hang-on fans.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:25 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

i don't mean to suggest that you should lower the flow, just saying that you don't necessarrly needs that many powerheads to create the same type of currents. I have seen many floursihing reefs that have no powerheads in the main tank and just rely on the flow created by the sump returns.

There are more then one way to skin a cat. I am just suggesting that you could get the same results using less equipment, just depends on how you aquascape and where you place the powerheads. Deadspots are inevitable, and in my experience, abiet short experience, cyno outbreaks are more of a water quality problem than a flow problem.

John

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #23

I apprecaite all the sugguestions. I guess it is like a lot of you said that it is a matter of seeing what works for you best.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Im not trying to agrue against everything you say, john, just trying to get it straight

Quote:
i don't mean to suggest that you should lower the flow, just saying that you don't necessarrly needs that many powerheads to create the same type of currents
There is a big big difference between having 1 PH and 2 PH's. 1 PH only produces 1 single, boring, circular flow. With 2 PH's, the 2 flows can crash together to create more random flows. If i remember it right, this is what i've read from a book by julian sprung:

There are 3 kinds of water movement in the ocean: surge, turbulence, and some other word that he used for big, one-direction flow. So with just 1 PH, u can't possibly create any surge or turbulence.... Circular flow in a reef aquarium is not suggested.

Also I really doubt that any reef tank can be healthy from just the flow of the returning pump with no pumps/PH's to create additional flow. Filters and returning pump only create a small water movement on the surface so without any additional PH's, there would be dead spots all over the tank.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would scrap the hydrometer, if you will be wanting corals in the future.
Get a refractometer like this one:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113761

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #26

Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably get the refractometer if it is more accurate.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com