Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #1

Equip List. Please look over for a newbieEDIT + PH Question

Thank you all for your help on the used tank thread. After hours of consideration I have decided I will buy the equip. new since I already have a nice 29 gal. with a solid stand and canopy. I know I can trust myself. I know it's small but I am on the 6th floor so I will start with a 29. I will convert it from F/W to S/W(never used meds in tank)

I want to make this order from Big Al's in the next week or two. Any advice, how about the skimmer? Enough light for good growth on the rock or eventually coral? Missing anything for startup? It all comes to around $500 give or take a few.

45 lb Fiji LR from liveaquaria.com $80 + shipping
Current USA Orbit 30" 2 x 65 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/2 Lunar Lights $169
2 Aquaclear Powerhead #301 Our Price: $12.99 ea
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Test Kit Our Price: $12.99
Via Aqua Titanium Heater 200 Watt Our Price: $19.99
Coralife Super Skimmer-Needle Wheel-65 Gallon Our Price: $74.99
Instant Ocean Hydrometer Our Price: $6.99
Instant Ocean Salt roughly $30 150 gal
Argonite Sand
1 raw shrimp

Need anything else to setup and cycle? Any advice? I may get the light and a skimmer off an AA member instead of those two items new.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:57 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
$395 for 45ish lbs of LR is pretty expensive. About $9 a pound. You can definitley get it for cheaper.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2392 or
http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.co...x?CategoryId=5

As for the lights, a good option for soft corals, zoos, lps. No sps or clams under that lighting.

Everything else looks good to me. I used caribsea aragonite sand with no issues or complaints. You may also want to consider a refractometer. They are around $40 but are much more accurate than hydrometers which become uncalibrated very quickly.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:17 AM   #3

Hey Devilshirts, Thanks for the reply. That is what it goes for in Boston. I thought about online, but I wont I have more die off than drving home from the LFS. Although, I would like to save some money so I will check it out. What about the other equip. Good to start? What do you suggest for better lighting that wont cost a ton.

EDIT: Oh my lord, that much cheaper. I will take some die off for $80 + shipping oppose to $390!! Thanks. I have been on liveaquaria 100 times but never looked for LR. Thanks
Old 07-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The comment about lighting is not a knock on what you were getting--just so you were aware of what you would be able to keep under it. I have a similar lighting setup and have been focusing on soft corals and some LPS. So far so good. It does limit you somewhat, but there is still a lot of variety.
One thing to watch out far ordering the salt and sand on-line is that you will get charged extra for the heavy items. With that charge, it can often be more affordable to pick it up locally.
If you are planning on corals, you will also want to pick up a calcium and alkalinity test kit.

EDIT: Take a look at http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...si1383025/cl0/

This Coralife fixture is pretty much identical to the one you have listed, but only $140.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I had the same wattage of light over my 29G. My green BTA thrived under that much light so IMO, you should be fine with most of the corals except for some high light SPS and clams.

You can get a small heater. 150W is all you need for a 29G.

Good choice with the skimmer. I loved my CSS. You might consider getting the one rated for 125G as i've heard that the 65G's pump is actually bigger than the 125G's. I had a 125G on my 29G with no problem.

Everything else looks good. Good luck on your first tank!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #6

Great Advice. I will stay with that light as i was only suppose to start with a FOWLR!! We will see. I like the idea of getting the CSS rated for 125g, I will do that. Also I have a 200w on there now for the fresh and it's the stabelest temp I have ever had so maybe I will get 200w. Is there anything I need to watch for when switching F/W to S/W. Never used meds. Just a good cleaning?
Old 07-15-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplawrence
The comment about lighting is not a knock on what you were getting--just so you were aware of what you would be able to keep under it. I have a similar lighting setup and have been focusing on soft corals and some LPS. So far so good. It does limit you somewhat, but there is still a lot of variety.
Ditto. I have the same fixture but the Coralife brand(without the moonlights). I keep softies, zoos, and LPS under it with no problems.

A good scrubbing is all you need to do.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #8

I was going to order the AC powerheads today and am confused on something. I know I need 2 but do I order two that are for a 30 gallon or is that to much? Should I order 2 that are for a 20 gal.?
Old 07-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can put clams underneath those lights. You just have to be careful of which clams. Some take more light than others. You could put some SPS's under those lights as well. There just isnt that many that you can choose from. As for your powerheads there is a formula for how much flow you should have in your tank. I dont remember it off the top of my head but maybe some one on here knows what I'm talking about.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Should I order 2 that are for a 20 gal.?
Be careful about adding too many powerheads. I have a very similar set up on my 37g. 2x65w PC lighting, skimmer, et all and I just replaced my powerheards with 2 zoomed powersweep powerheads. One day I came home and the checked the temp in the middle of the day.....89F....holy moley......it took me a couple of days and probing with a probe thermometer to realize that the 2 powerheads were creating a lot of heat. it was 92F near the powerheads.

In a 29 FOWLR, you could probably get away with 10x flow, or 290gph. I am assuming that the skimmer will be a HOB. So factor in the flow of the skimmer, and you may be able to get away with one good powerhead, just place it on the opposite side of the skimmer.

HTH

John

AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com