equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok have a 60g acrilic tank this is what i have running it Jalle 200 watt titanium heater Oasis aquantic manufacturing Q2 wet/dry filter with built in 4" protein skimmer
Litter giant2-MDQ-SC water return pump
Aquanetic 25 watt ultra violet sterilizer
is this good stuff or what I have know clue this is what they sold m and told me it was the best stuff to use I have a flora sun 25 watt bulband a coral sun actinic 420 25 watt these are 36in i am trying to find out the make of the fixture would this also be good enough for inverts and coral thanks guys this site is great and so helpfull I wish i found it before i bought all my stuff but you live and learn

I have no experience with that particular heater, although titanium is prefered. The Q2 100 is max rated for 400 GPH so be wary of the little giant if your head distance back to the tank is less than 4 ft. I would also recommend reducing the amount of bio bale they come with. It can be a nasty detritus trap until the tank has matured a fair amount and there is enough macro fauna to help eliminate accumulation. I would also recommend a few PH inside the tank as the sump return GPH will not be enough for the entire tank.

Th UV is up to you but is not a necessary piece of equipment IME. The lights on the other hand are very important for a reef tank. 2x25w NO bulbs will not be near enough light. On a 60g tank (depending on depth) you would need at least 4x65w PC or possible VHO. There are many lighing options available but it would greatly depend on the tank dimensions as well as eventual species of corals to be kept.

Cheers
Steve

the one bulb i have is a 10,000 kelvin daylight and the othere is a blueactinic bulb

ok i have an acrilic tank i will send a pic of the top of it here there are only 2 openings on the top so i dont know where i would put a powerhead let me know if anyone has any ideasthanks again Jester

ok i put a pic in my gallery the problem is there is no edge to put a power head on so can someone help me out here

The pic need to be approved before it can be viewed so remember to bump this post once that's done or simpley upload it here if less than 100k.

As far as the lights are concerned the kelvin rating is irrelavent when you are dealing with such a low wattage. For a 60 gal tank, you need much more intensity and 2x25 watts will be no where near enough for corals. 8)

Cheers
Steve

i cant figure out how to put the pic here so i will wait for it to be approved

2470Aut_0796-med.jpg

Okay, I see your problem now. The only suggestion I have would be remove the covers and place the PH's in each corner or possibley drill a hole large enough to allow the power cords to get through.

Either way, 400 GPH for a 60 gal tank is not near enough for a reef tank. I would bring the total GPH to at least 600, more depending on the types of corals to be kept.

Cheers
Steve

thank you for now is that enough gph for a fish only and if I want to increase it could i replace the pump with a bigger one I did not do the pluming the lfs did but is that something i could handle myself or is it even posable thank you Jester

It is possible but will mainly depend on the capacity of the overflow(s). You could also alternately plumb a completely new return line and add another pump as well.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom