Equipment for a reef ready 150gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up a 150 gal tank this weekend, that is reef ready. I need suggestions on equipment and sources for it. Filters, powerheads, lights, etc. I didnt want to get into needs with the LFS since their #1 goal in life is to sell me something. I do have a 55gal salt water tank but I did not purchase equipment for it I bought it used, already set up and running.
I plan on fish with live rock tank maybe some inverts but no corals for now. I'm going to get(or put together) a sump since the tank is already drilled. 1 question, what keeps the sump from filling up and flooding the house if the power goes out and pump shuts off???Thanks
Jason

i would use your 55 for a sump if you have the room and to answer your question about keeping it from flooding i usually plan it so that there is an exact amount of water in the tank so it doesn't flow over

i really dont think I have the room in the 150 stand for the 55, plus the 55 still has some fish in in, so I'm going to have to start from scratch on a sump.

your returns to the the sump need to be set so that they only drain back to a certian point. In a RR system it should have come with all the plumbing needed right? A dyurso (sp) system works well from what I've been told. Sump needs to be big enough to hold the drain off of the tank. 45-50 gal sump should be fine ask around on this Im not an expert in that area. you'll need a good skimmer, return pump. Lighting in a FO system not that important. About 130-150 lbs of LR leaving room for the fish to swim...... Some cheap playsand for the SB about 150lbs. A refugium to help export excess nutriants.... this will help cut down on water changes..

Is any type of playsand ok? I looked for some southdown and old castle i think were the names but no luck. Walmart has some sterilized playsand, and the Home depot here carries quikcreet playsand. would either of those two types be ok?
Yes the tank did come with some of the plumbing, everything needed for inside the tank came with it.
A couple of more questions.
What kind of lighting do inverts such as anemonies require?

Back
Top Bottom