equipment for new 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am currently starting to look around for what im going to need for the new tank and I just want to make sure I am remembering everything... here is what im planning on so far

75gallon tank/stand/glass hood
siphon overflow, 800gph
aqua gloves
silcone
stress coat
magfloat
test kit
maxijets
250w heater
digital thermometer
refractometer
quite one pump or mag drive
260watt CP fixture
120lbs sand
60lbs lace rock
odds and ends things for DIY sump
what am I forgeting?

I would, but it is really out of my price range... I have lace rock (about 15 pounds) and its awesome. I might get some more base/live rock but not much because I just can not afford $7.99/lbs for live rock or 3.99 for base (although that is cheaper).... maybe I will do half base and half lace...im still trying to decide on that.

I have read several articles (I will try and post some) that say lace rock can contain toxic metals. I know it is cheap, but you should be able to find some base rock very cheap.

I don't know that lave rock is toxic, just wanted to pass on the thought.

blazeyreef said:
I would, but it is really out of my price range... I have lace rock (about 15 pounds) and its awesome. I might get some more base/live rock but not much because I just can not afford $7.99/lbs for live rock or 3.99 for base (although that is cheaper).... maybe I will do half base and half lace...im still trying to decide on that.

got mine here

https://www.rockquatics.com/

pretty cheap and very porous.. really heavy though

blazeyreef said:
I am currently starting to look around for what im going to need for the new tank and I just want to make sure I am remembering everything... here is what im planning on so far

75gallon tank/stand/glass hood
siphon overflow, 800gph
aqua gloves
silcone
stress coat
magfloat
test kit
maxijets
250w heater
digital thermometer
refractometer
quite one pump or mag drive
260watt CP fixture
120lbs sand
60lbs lace rock
odds and ends things for DIY sump
what am I forgeting?

I didn't see a RO/DI unit & maybe a skimmer, since U are going reef.. you're pretty much gonna need those.. IMO

blazeyreef said:

You can get it cheaper than that online. I ordered some from Marco Rocks and I really liked it. It's about $2.50/pound. Here is the link:
http://www.marcorocks.com/products.asp

Or for about $2.67 you could get live rock from Drs. Foster and Smith:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=397

Last time I ordered from Drs. Foster & Smith I got 15% off my order by using the coupon code "DODGE". I'm not sure if it would still work but it saved me quite a bit when I ordered my new tank and all supplies through them.

You don't "need" an RO/DI unit but I'm sure everyone who has one would definitely recommend it. There's a lot of people who have had very healthy tanks without one though. If you do decide to get one, I recommend The Filter Guys. They have outstanding systems for great prices and are extremely helpful. Here is their web site:
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

thanks eveyrone!
I will look at the prices of live rock! then only thing is the shipping thats pain... oh well.
I already have a skimmer and an RO/DI unit would be nice but its a bit out of budget at the momment.
thanks everyone.

blazeyreef said:
thanks eveyrone!
I will look at the prices of live rock! then only thing is the shipping thats pain... oh well.
I already have a skimmer and an RO/DI unit would be nice but its a bit out of budget at the momment.
thanks everyone.

Yeah, the shipping can be a pain but that's why I like Drs. Foster & Smith. I believe $14.99 is the most their shipping ever costs, no matter the weight.

That's what I paid to ship a tank, stand, 50 lbs of liverock, 50 lbs of sand, and a bunch of supplies... pretty sweet! And I LOVE the rock they sent me. It's outstanding and very colorful. Great for reef tanks!

Hmmm... maybe I should charge them for the advertising I've done for them here...

well when I bought 22lbs of live rock (this was a year ago) and it cost me $28 somthing for shipping...

The comment about dr foster and smith is facutally inaccurate. While shipping supplies there charges may very well be under 15 dollars however livestock and live rock is a totally different story. Live rock for instance they charge 1.39 pound to ship it and there is no cap on that delivery charge

I do agree with pinkie. I bought 270Lbs of sand, a 6 foot lighting system and some other stuff, shipping was $15.99. The drs do not ship "live stock" that is through their other affiliates, liveaquaria and etropicals. I believe the drs are dry goods only.

Back
Top Bottom