equipment list! 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello
i am looking to start a 40 gallon salt water tank and am now wondering what i need. i have had numerous fresh water tanks. Also will it be easier to do a live rock tank or without live rock.
thanks all help is greatly appreciated.

Live rock is essential in my opinion, it provides your main source of filtration. In addition to rock and sand you will need a good saltwater tea kit, a refractometer (for measuring salinity) a heater, thermometer, a couple of powerheads. Depending on your plans for this tank (reef or fish only) you will need lighting, plenty if options here when you decide what you want to keep. If you don't already I suggest looking into a ro-di system for making water and salt of course! I always suggest buying a reference book for saltwater too, I did and still refer to it daily :)

filter?

thanks but, no filter? just live rock?

You don't have to use a filter, I don't. If you choose this method make sure you have plenty of live rock and buy it live if you can. At least one pound per gallon and as much as 2. Another way to do it is to run a sump, if you have the time and cash, again I don't, but would definitely on my next set up.

Back
Top Bottom