equipment suggestions for 30gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I should be getting some more $$ soon so can start thinking about the rest of the equipment I will need to upgrade my tank. It is a 30 gallon long. So far I have:

Tank and stand
visi-therm stealth heater
4x39watt T5 lighting
Bak-Pak 2 skimmer

current 10g tank has 20 lbs sand....can I move all this over eventually or will it be too nasty?? I also have an Aqua clear HOB that I could use if needed down the line for a fuge.

What I need:
sand....how much more and what kind...I bought the Arag-alive before realizing that was probably a waste of money
PHs....how many, what size and brand?
egg crate for top (jumpy wrasse)
refractometer (tired of the hydro)

What else??

newfound77951 said:
current 10g tank has 20 lbs sand....can I move all this over eventually or will it be too nasty??

I would add new sand and seed it with a little bit of your old sand. If you switched it all it would transfer alot of nasties with it. Sand is cheap so just get some dry sand and like I said just seed about a cup of your old sand IMO.

I've never used the BakPak skimmer, but I've used the Aqua C Remoras. I would not go with less skimmer than the Remora Pro. The regular Remora, IMO, just isn't strong enough. I have a 29 gal that was set up only to provide a home for a clownfish that was no longer wanted. It has 2x65w PC, a Remora Pro, and two Maxi Jet 1200 ph's. It has plenty of flow.

Well, i already have the skimmer so that can't change. I've heard good reviews on both the Bak Pak and the Remora and got a good deal on the Bak Pak on ebay. if it really doesn't work then I'll think about upgrading later.

So: 2 MJ 1200s
Refractometer, any brand suggestions? I use them at work but those are all $500 lab grade ones so that doesn't help....wish I could "borrow" one!
Sand.....aren't there about a zillion types of plain 'sand'? any brands/grain sizes etc I should look for? what have people used successfully? Also, how much would I need for a 30 long (36x12)...I've heard several different opinions on depth of sand bed.

For sand, I would use either CaribSea Aragamax, ESV Aragonite Oolitic, or Seachem Meridian.

Seems like folks either favor a shallow (~1") sandbed or a really deep one (~6"), but not anything in the middle, which is where my ingrained freshwater aesthetic wants to go (the usual 3 inches or so). I'm not planning on having any substrate dwelling fish like jawfish, so should i go with a shallower sand bed?

Back
Top Bottom