equipment suggestions for new 120 gal sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 120g All Glass with two overflows and i run a Mag 18 on mine. It works great. You have to remember that you are going to have to put a T connector on the hose going back into the tank from the pump to push water out of both returns so that reduces your gph also.

A closed loop is where a pump pulls water out of the tank and pushes it right back into the tank via 2 outlets. If you have a SCWD (switching current water director) on the closed loop you will get a back/forth effect, in other words the water will come out of one side and then switch to the other side. The scwd opens and closes left and right allowing the water to go from one side to the other. Have a look at this link, it may help you understand better. http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

Also, I have 1200gph overflow on my tank as well, I use 2 660gph pumps to return water to the tank and IMO need more. I plan on upgrading to a MAG 24 and split the line via another scwd. I have a closed loop on my tank witha scwd exactly as you will see on the link above. I would like to also uprade that pump to a mag 9.5. HTHs!!

Ziggy, I don't know the distance from you pump to your tank but assuming it is less than 5 feet wouldn't the Mag 24 be too powerful? It seems the pump will pump water into the tank faster than water will drain through the overflows. Unless you divert some of the water from the pump back into the sump, fuge, or somewhere else it seems the pump will pump too much out.

Back
Top Bottom